Forums Latest Members

Band Issues with Omega Dynamic (70s) Up for suggestions?

1. efinnen Jun 29, 2013

So I have an Omega Dynamic from the 70’s (was my dads watch). Its has one of their interesting bracelets that has a ring around the back that you end of having to unscrew if you wanted to change the bracelet on it. Basically the watch “pops” into the bands. So I ended up buying a vintage Omega Leather band (with the big hole in it) to switch out myself. I wear my watch on the right hand and beat the crap out of bracelets from desk diving, (I like non metal bands.)

My problem is this. I unscrewed the retaining ring managed to remove the original bracelet without a problem. I then place the leather band on top and try and screw in the ring and I don’t have enough thread for the ring to catch on, basically the height of the leather is a bit taller then the height of the metal. And I can’t get the damn thing on.

I tried to bring it to my local jeweler and they said they didn’t want to touch it. Apparently they are scared of 40 year old Omegas… (Note to self : Find competent local jeweler…)

Any suggestions on how to get this band on. It seems like I should really be able to do this myself.

Thx
    -e

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 29, 2013

If it's a genuine Omega band it should fit with no problems. There are a number of "Omega" brand bands around that aren't made to any specification issued by Omega.

I'd try to wet the leather and compress it between two metal plates in a vice, then try to fit it.

That's what I'd do, if you're not comfortable in the McGyver skills area then a genuine band may be the solution.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Jim

3. efinnen Jun 29, 2013

Thx for suggestion. I don't have a vise but I have quite a few vise grips... Off to McGyver tomorrow.

I'm "fairly" certain it is a genuine band. Circumference/radius of circle is perfect, just height of leather is being a PITA. Then again who knows anymore.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 29, 2013

I had to use a hammer to thin out the leather.

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2013

Yep, that'd be a good option too, the ball end of the head and just tap around the edge of the cutout.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2013

If you have a set of vice grips you could set them to nearly closed and then use them to squeeze the edge of the leather working from the inside of the cutout. A bit like this. IMG_0050.JPG

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 30, 2013

Even the genuine Omega straps are a bit thick. As others have said compressing the leather is helpful, and once you get the threaded ring started, I advise to tighten it periodically to slowly compress the leather more - just don't cross thread it!

Cheers, Al