Forums Latest Members

Badly designed website lashed together by rank amateur now slightly better

1. tyrantlizardrex Dec 13, 2017

As a few of you have pointed out, the Time 4A Pint website was not the best, in terms of design, usability, legibility... all the minor things that don't really matter. ::facepalm1::

In an attempt to fix this, I've spent the last few weeks working on a redesign, and think the new layout is both easier to navigate, and to read.

Things are now sensibly grouped, there is no hard to read text over images... it looks less ugly. :thumbsup:

There will be some tweaking over the next few weeks, as/when I break things, or discover better ways to do what I'm trying to do, but any feedback is most appreciated.

If anyone fancies a look, and has any suggestions/ideas/feedback, I'd love to hear it... I might not be able to do anything with it given my lack of technical skill, but I will listen! :)

www.time4apint.com

Cheers

Chris

Edited Dec 13, 2017
  2. bags1971 Dec 13, 2017

It’s very good and I just listened to the podcast on speedmaster 101 very interesting and got me thinking

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 13, 2017

Yea Chris!

Thanks for your continuing effort on what is a nice watch perk for us nerds.

4. lando Dec 13, 2017

Brilliant! Not too long ago when i was on a slow connection the "podcast" page took endless to load because of all the big pictures.

Should be much better with the new layout. :thumbsup: Not tested yet, though.

5. tyrantlizardrex Dec 13, 2017

That's one element that I've been trying to work on - page load speeds.

I might need to go through and change the formatting of some of the images, but as it stands, it should be about twice as fast to load... real world feedback from the field much appreciated. :thumbsup:

6. Bushido Dec 13, 2017

I'm really liking the new layout @tyrantlizardrex! Very easy to navigate and page loading was near instant for me. Nice work!

7. jakeh417 Dec 13, 2017

Awesome improvements. Me likes! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. ICONO Dec 13, 2017

You have worked hard Chris, and it has paid off ....the new look of the website, has been lifted to another level

Really good Design, in its purest form, tends to focus on what you can strip away....rather than what you can add

To increase the overall homogeneity, I might look, perhaps, at reducing the number of fonts used ?

9. tyrantlizardrex Dec 13, 2017

Thanks Patrick - it should just be one throughout... although I might have some stray code in there somewhere...

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 13, 2017

Ah, they grow up so fast.. Thanks for bringing us along on this grand adventure of yours Chris!

11. WatchVaultNYC Dec 13, 2017

I listen to the podcast, and although I have not seen the new site yet, word "lashed together" is pretty evocative. Did you build it with bamboo and grass?

12. isaac.owen.nz Dec 13, 2017

More pictures!
    When you talk about case back and other details, would be nice to see in pictures as well what you're talking about.

13. allantsui Dec 13, 2017

haha

14. wristpirate Dec 13, 2017

redial alert!

15. wristpirate Dec 13, 2017

Great work on the site.

One bit of feedback, I find the main photo on the homepage to be really big, so big that the whole watch doesn't fit on my screen.

16. tyrantlizardrex Dec 13, 2017

Mostly tea and biscuits. ;)

Let me have a look and see what I can do - it’s built around a template, so some stuff I can easily tweak, other stuff not so much.

17. wristpirate Dec 13, 2017

:thumbsup: keep up the good work

18. MaiLollo Dec 13, 2017

Nice website!
    I've been wanting to listen to the podcasts for a while now but haven't figured out yet how to do so: are they exclusively on iTunes? Can I get them via another source ? I don't use iTunes anymore but it would be the perfect show for some of my morning commute...

19. Slo084 Dec 13, 2017

Good job, Chris! Keep it up!

20. WYO_Watch Dec 13, 2017

Just downloaded a few seasons for my Christmas drive to the inlaws :thumbsup: The app that opened through the site on my phone was the generic Apple “podcasts” app. Looks like you can listen through stream or download straight to the app. I would also assume a similar droid/google counterpart application works.