Forums Latest Members
  1. kokose7en Aug 10, 2019

Who else is excited about going back to the moon? I wonder if Omega is sponsoring the mission when colonizing the moon? With the Artemis Program and help with SpaceX/NASA. Could be as early as 2024! This would be very interesting to see how this affects the watch industry. Could there be a NEW Moonwatch other than a Speedy?

wagudc likes this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 10, 2019

Been there, done that. Let's go to Mars!

3. kokose7en Aug 10, 2019

“First and Only Watch on Mars” does sound nice! Marswatch! Lol

blufinz52 likes this.
  4. whyboddau Aug 13, 2019

Omega is likely pushing to get their new 3861 NASA flight approved for the next set of missions!

5. KAP Aug 13, 2019

Omega may need to update the tachymeter for 24,000 mph for the next NASA mission.

6. Hoddspur Aug 13, 2019

How much will the original From the Moon to Mars LE increase in value when it does actually happen?!

7. staristheanswer Aug 13, 2019

All those billions could go on saving Earth and the people in here.When are we going to understand that this planet is UNIQUE
    and as long we know there are no other planets like this.
    We are kinda like the people that were living on the Easter island.
    They were destroying their trees for lumber until they could have no more trees to build boats
    to go fishing.
    All the money going to space exploration could save the Earth and the poor people but no
    we are very selfish to do something like that.
    I am pro of space but first we have to fix things here than we can go for exploration.
    It's like I have a destroyed home and economy and going to make a new start somewhere in the desert.

8. rf53 Aug 13, 2019

Respectfully, you really need to study how tremendously beneficial space exploration has been for all of mankind. The space program is responsible for tremendous advancements in science and medicine, communications, computing, and understanding the earth, among many, many other things. NASA spin-off technologies have been directly responsible for things like digital imaging breast biopsy system, transmitters to monitor the fetus inside the womb, laser angioplasty, fiber-optic catheters, forceps with fiber optics that let doctors measure the pressure applied to a baby's head during delivery, cool suits to lower body temperature in treatment of various conditions, voice-controlled wheelchairs, lighttemitting diodes for help in brain cancer surgery, better molds for artificial arms and legs, programmable pacemakers, and tools for cataract surgery just to name a few. The list is equally as impressive for the other industries. We have only begun to scratch the surface in the beneficial by-products of exploring space. Before you blow off the significance of space exploration, think about how many people have been saved by the list of things mentioned above. Money well spent in my view. Oh yeah, and we get to visit cool places too!

gdupree and BenBagbag like this.
  9. staristheanswer Aug 13, 2019

Yes all those things only the wealthy people that can afford the treatment...nothing of those you wrote is for free.

10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 13, 2019

giphy.gif

gdupree and rf53 like this.
  11. kokose7en Aug 13, 2019

Possibly the invention of satellites for internet and GPS was useful. This forum wouldn’t have existed without these technological advancements due to space exploration. Free? Well, I do pay $49.99 plus tax for my internet. Unless I find free-wifi

12. rf53 Aug 13, 2019

A) Your statement is ridiculous and uninformed.
    B) I should have recognized a troll. Have fun with that!

Ignore the troll folks! Can we please move on to discuss watches now!

apsm100 and gdupree like this.
  13. staristheanswer Aug 13, 2019

Of course they have made BIG inventions.They can continue the researchs but not going "crazy" like colonizing the Moon or Mars.It will be extremely expencive and it will fail in the end!!They should focus more on Earth in my opinion.

14. staristheanswer Aug 13, 2019

You don't like the truth of course.
    Troll,in your face,moron.

15. italy1861 Aug 13, 2019

blufinz52 likes this.
  16. rf53 Aug 13, 2019

Given the approximately third grade level or your writing skills and your clear absence of objectivity, along with your moron comment, all I can say is Res Ipsa Loquitur. I'm done with this juvenile nonsense. Grow up small man.

An administrator may wish to take a look at this person's account. He is clearly here to disrupt.

17. staristheanswer Aug 13, 2019

Epea Pteroenta
    Yes "big" man...Im growing up!!

Edited Aug 13, 2019
  18. Hoddspur Aug 13, 2019

::popcorn::

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 14, 2019

In many respects I agree with you, however recognize there is no "they" and it's all "us"...if we wait for others to save the planet, it clearly isn't going to happen.

Space exploration certainly has value, as it has let us understand just how unique our solar system is, and how lucky we are to have a planet like the one we reside on (thank you, Jupiter!). There is a famous photo of "earth rise" taken from the moon, that is largely credited with kick-starting the environmental movement - I have no idea if this is really true, but certainly it gave it a boost.

Another photo that is very famous is the pale blue dot as Carl Sagan called it...taken from Voyager 1 as it was leaving the solar system, showing the earth from 6 billon kms away...

[​IMG]

We are a blip in time on a spec of dust in the vast universe. This is realistically the only home we have, and for sure we need to take better care of it. The world's economy is based on growth that is unsustainable, so this will require a very big change in how we think about things...not hopeful it will happen before it's too late, but in the mean time we all need to do our part.

Cheers, Al

wagudc, eugeneandresson, kkt and 4 others like this.
  20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Aug 14, 2019

The female Chinese taikonaut will probably wear a Fiyta chronograph during her Moonwalk in 2025 :whistling: