Forums Latest Members

Back from the spare parts department Omega calibre 30 12 PC

1. Mitka Mar 26, 2015

This watch was given to me from a retired watchmaker as a challenge. The hairspring was deformed and laying on the balance and the mainspring was missing... I reshaped the hairspring replaced the balance staff and serviced the movement. I was considering to have the dial restored but after cleaning it i decided to let it be.. Not a perfect watch but fun to bring back from the grave;)
    IMG_0497.jpg Before service
    IMG_0498.jpg Movement before service
    IMG_0502.JPG During service
    IMG_4722.JPG Movement has some scars from last 65years... But looks nice after being a service
    IMG_4729.JPG Movement looking good in the case again.
    IMG_4730.JPG Performance is good considering this could be considered a parts movement before.
    IMG_4733.jpg I'm keeping this one as it was given to me as a gift and looks pretty sweet:)

Edited Mar 26, 2015
    ChrisN, micampe and Giff2577 like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 26, 2015

Nice clean up there Mitka :thumbsup:

3. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 26, 2015

Cool one!
    I would try to tone down the white luminous compound on the hands when the dial is patinated. It would have made it look even more "correct".
    :thumbsup:

Tritium likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 26, 2015

Overall looks decent. Did you try to reduce the beat error? Also, as I see often, lift angle is wrong on the timing machine....should be 49 degrees so your 284 degrees of amplitude is really more like 267...so a little on the low side to be honest if that is at full wind.

How about readings in 3 or 6 positions?

Mitka likes this.
  5. Mitka Mar 26, 2015

Hi Archer,

Thanks for pointing that out, did not know about the 49 degrees lift angle. Still an apprentice and it is so cool how you always learn something new in this profession:)

6. Mitka Mar 30, 2015

I measured performance today in all 6 positions. As you can see there still is some poising needed, but will do this at a later stage when I feel I'm ready for it. Will also adjust down beat error. Chances are that I will just make it worse at this stage..

IMG_1088.JPG Dial Down. IMG_1093.JPG Dial Up. IMG_1094.JPG Crown down. IMG_1095.JPG Crown Left. IMG_1097.JPG Crown Right. IMG_1098.JPG Crown up. IMG_1100.JPG Right now I'm happy wearing a watch keeping time within a minute a day on my wrist:)

Edited Mar 30, 2015
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 30, 2015

Delta of 92 seconds...well that's quite a bit. Could certainly be a poise error since all that variation is crown up/crown down, so opposite each other in positions. Of course looking at concentricity and flatness of the balance spring should be done as part of every service, so not sure what you did there. Also looking at the regulating pins, how they are spaced, and how the spring is centered between them is important. I would also check the regulating pins to make sure they are parallel - you have a fairly large difference dial up and dial down that could be caused by this with all else being good...

Cheers, Al

Mitka likes this.
  8. Mitka Mar 30, 2015

The watch was fitted with the wrong balance staff and the hairspring was badly deformed. The hairspring was resting on the balance wheel and touching the balance cock at the same time. classic story of one bend leading to another bend, instead of fixing the first bend and thous cause of the problem ::stirthepot::.. I had a another look at the pins today and they are straight, I think the problem is a combination of all the old "corrections" and the new corrections made by me together with some corrosion damage. The hairspring is now fairly straight and not touching any where, but for standard Omega performance I need a new hairspring and posing of the balance wheel. I have just started practising posing. Hopefully, next time I service the watch I will have enough dough to replace the hairspring or at least enough experience to improve the performance:D

And find an original second hand! ::facepalm1::