Forums Latest Members

Back from service.... Longines screw back... with a surprise

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 4, 2016

Got this a few months ago from a pal who's a military watch collector and a Longines enthusiast.
    We all expected the service to be a cake walk.
    Turned out it wasn't because it's a somewhat unusual watch.
    I'll let you see for yourself.....

Looks normal right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprise surprise.... notice anything?

[​IMG]

It's a "micro" mil-style watch, 25mm wide.
    The lady "three notch" screw backs were documented -- now we have the lady "six notch".
    Curious whether anyone knows more about them.

Here's the 8.68ABC caliber undergoing repair, with a couple mainspring barrel options.

[​IMG]

Minute variants for parts made everything more complicated and time consuming, so much so I didn't dare ask the watchmaker to reopen it for a movement pic....
    guess I'll get to it at some point.

Edited Jun 4, 2016
    dougiedude, gatorcpa, BartH and 13 others like this.
  2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 6, 2016

A fantastic little piece. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I have no interesting information regarding it.

Syrte likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 6, 2016

Thanks Simon, I!'ll try to see what info I can get from those really nice Longines historians.

Warthog and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  4. Warthog Jun 18, 2016

Hello, Syrte,
    Have you got any info from Longines yet? My wife has a similar piece to yours, but with center seconds and # 23023/135 on the case back. The dial and hands are lumed and it also shows a 24 hour index. If you like, I'll take a few shots for later. Really interesting as well is that I have a medium 3T just 15 production numbers(both the motor and the case) from your salmon dial one! Just bought it out of Switzerland, recently Milan; it's not as nice as yours, but what is??? It sure runs and feels great. My huge congrats to you added to everyone else. I really enjoy your posts; thanks,
    Wes

Syrte likes this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 18, 2016

Oh wow Wes, how interesting -- I haven't heard back from Longines yet on the micro watch. Would love to see shots from your wife's!!
    I'm afraid I posed Longines a bit of a challenge asking them for more history on the marketing of those "sports" type watches to women, and for production numbers. I was planning on dropping them a line next week.
    Will definitely keep you posted on what I find out.

As for your 3T, what an funny coincidence!! (thanks for the sweet words).

Cheers,
    S

Edit -just for the record, am reposting pictures I snapped today at my watchmaker's. He owns a 34mm center seconds version of this watch. The comparison in size is just priceless and cracked me up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 18, 2016
  6. Warthog Jun 19, 2016

Sylvie, here are several rotten pics shot on the run, but will give you an idea of this little guy. Need to get it serviced as it's running too fast to adjust at home...best regards, Wes IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0100.JPG

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 19, 2016

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 23, 2016

Longines response, the watch in the OP is a reference 5406 invoiced 15 november 1945 to Cuervo y Sobrinos, Longines' agent in Cuba at the time.
    I'll add Cuervo y Sobrinos is a famous Havana jewelery store which is still in existence today.
    This kind of (sadly) confirms that anything that had any value on the island left a long time ago if it's smaller than a car.

No specific info was available about ladies' sei tacche and tre tacche watches, unfortunately.