Forums Latest Members

Baby steps, case numbers, dial variants & resisting temptation

1. RedPhil Mar 22, 2017

Hi everyone
    After my first thread and the excellent advice I received, especially to take my time, do my research and build up some knowledge before jumping in with a purchase, I have some questions. I was attracted to the watch below and did some digging, ultimately deciding to resist the temptation.

By comparing with other watches of this model, I think I'd say, of course I'm prepared to be corrected (it's all about learning) that it looks original dial, hands, case and movement, would you agree?

Looking across similar watches of this model there appears to be two variations of the case number 14759 1 SC as below and 14759 SC-61 - what is the difference? What does the 1 SC and SC-61 mean?

The dial is a little different from the one shown as the Omega Vintage Database - numbers on the 1/4 hour (feel sure there must be a technical term for these) as opposed to all hour markers (batons I believe). But I understand from reading other threads that these may have been produced for the UK market, have I got this right?

I was tempted (I've included the link to the ebay auction in case anyone is interested). There is only one thing that is putting me off and that is the condition of the hands, for the money £375 thinking that I should wait and get a watch that ticks all the boxes rather than jump in and regret later. Am i right to pass or am I being too fussy now?

Some photos and the link

14759 ebay.jpg s-l400 (1).jpg s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg s-l400.jpg

Here's the linkPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'd appreciate any responses to my questions and any general comments on my views of the above watch. I'm trying to learn to identify the good from the not so good.
    Thanks in advance, Phil

2. RedPhil Mar 23, 2017

Appreciate this is probably totally against forum etiquette but I'd really appreciate any opinions on the questions I ask on case numbers and dials and views on the watch above. If I'm not asking sensible questions to elicit answers then let me know.
    Seeking knowledge
    Phil

3. François Pépin Mar 23, 2017

Hi,

The condition is good (or very good indeed) and if you like the watch there is no reason not to buy it! I do not think the hands are an issue - some patina is to be expected on a +50 years old vintage.

It is normal that you did not find an exact match on the Omega database: models came in different dial and hands versions.

SC means "seconde centrale", the French terms for sweep second. 61 is the year and - 1 likely the version (first one here) of this ref/model.

4. RedPhil Mar 24, 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to post François - fills a couple of gaps in my knowledge - I may still decide to go for the watch. Is £375 top money for this - it hasn't attracted any bids which makes me nervous. Thanks again Phil

5. François Pépin Mar 24, 2017

The price does not seem too high to me considering the condition, though it is not cheap.

This is one of eBay side effects: bids attract bids, which frequently conducts to high prices, and fair watches can be deserted...

Concerning this watch, I am not saying it is a great deal, but if you like it I cannot see any reason why you should pass.

6. sxl2004 Mar 24, 2017

I might be off but the movement parts do not have the consistent color normally associated with Omega movements.

7. RedPhil Mar 24, 2017

Thanks Sxl2004, I've seen a number of pictures of movements with this two colours of metal, so didn't give it much thought. Should this put me off

8. sxl2004 Mar 24, 2017

I am not that much of an expert, but inconsistent movement coloring hints at movement parts being from different time periods. That could be a repair or franken. I hope more qualified experts will weigh in.
    Value of the watch and its collector appeal factor in, but if you like the watch, have no collectors or resale ambitions, and the price is right, wear the hell out of it and have fun.
    :cool::D

9. WatchWarlock Mar 24, 2017

Hrm. Having owned dozens of vintage Omegas, you would want the movement to look uniform. Something doesn't look quite right with the contrasting colors. Here's an example of uniformity.

20170217_104725.jpg

sxl2004 likes this.
  10. François Pépin Mar 24, 2017

Yes, the movement is a bit tired. If you consider this factor to be important - I do - you should not buy the watch. But if you factor more the external condition, this is a good watch.

11. RedPhil Mar 24, 2017

Thanks guys, I'd pretty much decided to pass on this anyway as it isn't just what I'm after and is top of the money. I'm after a watch for wearing not for resale or collecting. I can wait for the right watch but thanks very much. You have given me a lot more information, stuff to look out for next time. Cheers Phil

12. François Pépin Mar 24, 2017

If you are not sure, saving your money for a better watch is the right thing to do!

Vitezi likes this.