Forums Latest Members

Availability of 321 even lower than we think it is?

1. Tipofthehat Feb 20, 2021

So a while back, I decided the stainless steel 321 is my end-game piece. (Skipping the apparent questions of should one buy the 321 and if there ever really is an end game watch)

I have called most US Boutiques and many many ADs, even one with a decent purchase history. Everything from impossible to even get on a list to maybe full deposit and in 2-3 years. Not the answers I was hoping for in my search. Could it be this difficult to get?

After watching the seeing youtube video "Hands-on: OMEGA Speedmaster "Ed White" Calibre 321 in stainless steel," I started doing some math from what GregoryKissling mentioned regarding the movement. It's possible this may be harder to get than I had planned.

Gregory states, it takes two days to make each movement and a 3rd day to case it up. So that's three days per watch. Suppose we add some estimates into this, like 260 workdays available in a year. These watch builders are most likely senior and have at least four weeks of a year and 20 or so public holidays. Leaving us with about 220 days available to each watchmaker. According to Gregory, only a team of 8 are building the 321's, so if it is three days per watch, they pump out a whopping 73 each or 586 as a team per year.

Gregory also went on to say they can make about 1000 pieces per year, so to get there, the math needs to bring them closer to a rate of one watch every two days. Now I'm sure there is plenty of wiggle room, and perhaps they are not getting 40 days off, but I'm sure COVID protocols are not helping. I'm starting to think the buzz on the internet about 1500-2000 pieces a year is wishful.

I don't think I want 15k held up to "maybe" have delivery in the next 2-3 years. I'm strongly looking at the gray market to pick this up before the price jumps higher as time goes on.

Will demand be satisfied over the next couple of years, and they are easy to get? I wish I knew.

What do you think a reliable grey purchase or keep hoping to "get the call."?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 20, 2021

3 days does not mean 24 hours of labor per...
    It's an assembly line for many steps, and testing is done in batches. So production is likely not as bad as that sounds.

That being said they where always going to be very limited access. I was under the impression they are already sold out. Have you talked to a Boutique (not an AD)?

3. waveguide Feb 20, 2021

There are a dozen for sale on Chrono24 at this writing. Premium is 60-80% above retail.

4. Tipofthehat Feb 20, 2021

I do not think there are 72 hours of continual manipulation of each watch. When they say two days, I'm assuming two periods of about 8 hours or two business days for the movement.

I thought the 321 specifically diverges from the assembly line or batch processes hens, one watchmaker, one watch ethos, and 14.1k RRP?

Boutiques were contacted coast to coast looking for one or even a reliable order on one.

I believe you're correct in the sold out status.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 20, 2021

Any Boutique can check national inventory. I still don't think it takes 16 man hours to build the watch. Watchmakers routinely reassemble these in much less time and they are not doing it in serial production.

6. Fatcat Feb 20, 2021

Not a problem to get it, was offered 2 already same OB in 1 month

7. Tipofthehat Feb 20, 2021

Were you already an established customer? Would you mind PM me the OB location?

8. Tipofthehat Feb 20, 2021

I agree in the total time it takes to produce the watch, there must be actions they can take to have some functions accomplished in parallel, even if by a single person.

Perhaps it's more of "can't" vs. "won't" put me down for one with the Boutiques. I feel like they could be playing games, especially with some being offered 2 in a single month. However, there is no way for me to know if the shortage is real or a marketing illusion by Omega and the Boutiques. Apparently, from some other threads, this reference is not as difficult to find in Europe.

9. stevec14 Feb 20, 2021

In Europe, there are some for 20% over retail (and slightly less).

for some reason the us watches are expensive

10. phooi Feb 20, 2021

Ultimately depends on how bad you want it and your funds. I’ve been told from my local OB it’s 50% deposit and then wait. So far, none of the people on the waitlist has gotten one since release date. However, they offered their only 321 to the local VIP.

11. harrymai86 Feb 20, 2021

Chrono24 price 22-25k usd for the new Ed White. Damn I rather hunt for a vintage 2998 for that price.

Eve, Kim, marco and 3 others like this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2021

That’s a rather good point tbh and the reason I turned my allocation down

Kim likes this.
  13. Dan S Feb 20, 2021

Buy it, or don't buy it. ::yawn::

Larry S likes this.
  14. harrymai86 Feb 20, 2021

if you can get it at retail, it would be another story :)

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2021

Yea I had one lined up and declined so someone else got it in Brisbane and I’m cool with that, I don’t like buying just to speculate and I had other stuff to pay for anyway.

16. asisrich Feb 22, 2021

I like how you tried to calculate it OP.

Isn't there like 3 different models (platinum,gold, SS) with the 321 movement in it?

If that's the case the 321 SS could possibly be under 1000 pieces per year.

17. texasmade Feb 22, 2021

Just platinum and SS. There isn't a gold model.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2021

That PT950... ::love::::love::::love::::love::::love::

not just for the metal either, it’s the most stunningly beautiful dial in person, I had it on my wrist briefly and didn’t want to ever take it off.

Eve and Borosilikat like this.
  19. asisrich Feb 22, 2021

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a newbie to Omega Speed masters so still learning. The platinum model looks amazing but certainly has a high price tag.

Makes the SS 321 asking price kinda seem quite fair.

20. Borosilikat Feb 22, 2021

In my opinion it's best to attempt to get one from an AD, it's the same as with steel sports Rolex, AP RO and Patek models. I've found that with watches such as this it's in reality not as hard to get as the AD's and the forum's claim.

If an AD offers you to put down a deposit and get one in 2-3 years I would not be surprised if you get it in one years or less even. With a Rolex explorer I was quoted 1.5 years here in Austria and got it in 2 months with no purchase history, similar with a explorer 2 later.

It would personally make me feel bad buying something for more than retail price while it is still being produced, this isn't a vintage or unique or even ultra low production watch, it's still mass produced to a degree so paying anything above the MSRP just feels wrong to me.