Forums Latest Members

Autosport - Very Pleasant Surprise

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Yesterday I received a watch that has been lost in the mail for nearly a month and a half. It was a humble Zenith AutoSport that I bought because I hadn't ever seen that particular dial before, either on the 'net or in the Zenith literature, and despite the case having been polished smooth of its sunburst texture. I didn't have tremendous hopes for it - more a curiosity than anything else.

The AutoSports were an early 70s C-cased version of the Sporto, Zenith's everyman's activity watch. They had automatic versions of Zenith's workhorse movements, the 25x2 PC series. Some of them had amusing target dials.

[​IMG]

The one in question had an anthracite dial.

[​IMG]

The finish was much shinier than in the seller's pics, and In the manner of shiny dark dials, it did interesting things in the light

[​IMG]

But what really raised a grin was the dial texture, something that really did not grab the eye in the seller's pics. I decided it was worth getting the macro lens out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really, a much finer thing than I expected - maybe one of the finest Zenith dials of the era.

Here with a stablemate
    [​IMG]

x3no, Mothra, Veritas99 and 2 others like this.
  2. alam Feb 9, 2013

:thumbsup: oh baby! ::love:: plain caseback?

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 9, 2013

Not that he'll ever part with it, but.. for the little that it's worth... dibs!

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 9, 2013

Man, guess I picked the wrong day to bust out this thing:

[​IMG]

...though I did enjoy my three minutes of AutoSport dominance. ;)

Mothra and Veritas99 like this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

Plain Jane. Nothing special about the movement either. The case is aggressively overpolished - it should have a brushed radial finish.

Sorry! Hard to show restraint though, as I've been more than six weeks waiting for this thing. I think everyone at the US Customs office must have worn it for a day before they boxed it back up and sent it on.

Wetworks likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

Lou - Steve can restore the radial brushed finish. That's a killer dial. Put that on the list of watches I want to see the next time we both attend a GTG.

Wetworks likes this.
  7. m neuman What, me worry? Feb 9, 2013

Very nice gear! Stunning