Forums Latest Members

Automatics and motorcycles

1. KCScott Jan 18, 2014

I have only recently started collecting watches and hope this isn't a question that makes those with more experience roll their eyes. I have several motorcycles and I ride a lot. All my bikes have either one or two cylinders which means a bit of vibration transmitted to the grips. My obvious question is if i will damage any of my new vintage treasures while riding?Should I find a quartz, like a modern Seamaster, to ride with? It would be a good excuse to buy a watch even, Dennis ;) , if it has a battery.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 18, 2014

No issues. Co sider the cal 321 in the speedmaster. Went to the moon. Now unless your riding is VERY bad, I am assumkng less vibrations on your wrisy than on Neil Armstrong's.

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. KCScott Jan 18, 2014

Quite true, however unless I'm mistaken, the 321 is not an automatic. Also, it only took minutes to get out of earth's atmosphere. I'm talking about hours upon hours at varying frequencies.

4. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2014

Very old watches, before each had some type of shock aborbsion system, might be a problem. Qua….quar…..qu….. um, those thingies with the batteries in them that tell time would do the job.

5. KCScott Jan 18, 2014

Does that mean I have your blessing to buy a watch with a battery in it Father Dennis?

ulackfocus likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2014

Whoa, let's not get carried away!

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2014

I think he means only if it's a Hamilton Electric or Bulova Accutron.
    gatorcpa

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

I ride every day and don't wear any watch for the journey. My watch is kept in a safe carry pouch in my tank bag and I put it on when I arrive. The only exception to this is that I will wear my bulletproof cal 1128 Seamaster GMT or maybe a digital watch when on a long trip or biking abroad.

This is nothing to do with vibration. It's a precaution against damage if there is an "incident".

If you come off or get hit by someone else then hands usually hit the ground first. One thing I don't want to have to take account of in the aftermath is a wrecked part of the collection. It's enough dealing with any physical injury, repairing the bike and replacing the helmet or other equipment.

KCScott, cicindela and Privateday7 like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

I have a friend that rides a lot. He had a Seiko kinetic that totally shook apart.

10. ulackfocus Jan 19, 2014

A kinetic watch that was destroyed because of repetitive motion - what's the proper literary term for that? It's not 'irony', is it? :p

11. KCScott Jan 19, 2014

It certainly sounds as if riding with a vintage auto, or any auto for that matter is not a great idea. I think I'll be leaving the oldies at the house or in the tank bag. Thanks for the advise. Now what do you think about wearing one while operating a jack hammer?