Forums Latest Members
  1. goldfinger 1187 Aug 16, 2016

Hi everyone,

Lately I've noticed that my automatic Omega Constellation sometimes stops overnight - once stopped, it won't restart without crown winding. Once it has even stopped on my wrist, while sitting at a desk. If I fully wind it by the crown, it runs fine for the full power reserve. Is this normal, or is there an issue with the automatic mechanism?

Thanks for your help.

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 16, 2016

If you are starting the watch from a dead stop, are you manually winding it before putting it on?

Unless you are very active, you won't generate enough energy to keep it going unless you give it a little juice first.
    gatorcpa

3. goldfinger 1187 Aug 16, 2016

If I fully wind it, it usually goes a couple of days before stopping. I do sit at a desk most of the day, with perhaps an hour of walking - should this be enough to keep it wound?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 16, 2016

Try winding it 20-30 turns of the crown before putting it on. If you wear it everyday, it shouldn't stop.

If it does, then the watch is telling you it needs service.
    gatorcpa

5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 16, 2016

If it is one of the later 10xx calibers maybe not. From the Omega Constellation Collectors blog:

Because of the greater gear ratio on the 1000 series, a number of respondents observed that people with
    sedentary lifestyles complained that the watch stopped or didn’t wind effectively, although in more active people
    that particular issue never presented itself. One agent reported that it took around three hours on a winder to get
    a fully wound-down movement going.

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Movement4.pdf

6. goldfinger 1187 Aug 16, 2016

It's the 712 ultrathin movement - not sure if the ultrathin series are less efficient than a thicker movement. I did have it serviced just a few months ago...I haven't worn it more than a couple days in a row until now, so didn't notice the issue previously.

7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 16, 2016

8. Interstellar Aug 16, 2016

I had a cal 712 Connie. No prob as described with mine. Ran strong and smooth. However i did have a Seamaster which came back from the service; in which after 2 months of wearing, had the same prob as yours.

I sent it back to the watchmaker and turns out that the minute hand is "touching" the crystal (i had it changed) and there was some resistance. After this was fixed, all is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. goldfinger 1187 Aug 16, 2016

10. goldfinger 1187 Aug 16, 2016

That may well be the problem, I'll take it back to my watchmaker to have it checked out.

11. Interstellar Aug 16, 2016

Yea, you do that. [emoji16]

12. goldfinger 1187 Aug 19, 2016

So, it turns out the gasket had split and was impeding the mechanism...not sure how that happened, but at least it was an easy fix.

ahartfie and Euxinus like this.
  13. Interstellar Aug 19, 2016

Glad you got it sorted out. :) Perhaps the gasket was not sitting perfectly in its groove? Enjoy your watch

goldfinger 1187 likes this.