Forums Latest Members

Automatic Speedmaster that go fast!

1. Gojca Mar 25, 2018

Hi guys!!

I have bought a pre-owned Speedmaster automatic that run fast roughly 50 sec per day.

The first test come from the seller average of 3.57 while the second one 4.3 average from the omega store.

Could you please explain the difference with my calculation using it, that are less than 2 minutes in 2 days and 40-50 sec in a day?
    Which one could be the cause that the watch is running fast?

Thanks very much!

[​IMG]

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2018

If those tests were done at full wind, then the balance amplitudes are low. Do you know when the watch was last serviced?

3. Gojca Mar 25, 2018

Thanks for answering!

The second one I am sure it is at full wind. No history of service. Worst case scenario never done from 2008.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2018

If you don't have proof of a recent service from a seller (not just his word, but proof in the form of an invoice from a reputable service provider) then you should count on getting a service done on the watch when you make an offer. With the amplitudes being as low as they are, and an unknown service history, this watch probably just needs a proper service.

When the balance amplitude drops, the watch will tend to speed up in most cases - depends a bit on how it's set up, but my guess is that the amplitude is dropping and the watch is speeding up because of it. Full service will fix this.

Cheers, Al

5. Gojca Mar 25, 2018

Thanks very much Al! Was my first preowned watch and I have bought it from a professional seller, that has written on the ads:

"Every watch in our stock is checked by professional watchmaker to ensure its optimal performance and perfect working order"

So trusting him and the warranty of 1 year that they offer, I have bought it.
    So now he is saying that the what I am saying that the watch take +40/50 sec per day, is not possible.
    But according to my measurement it is 40/50 sec. How can I answer to him?

6. Canuck Mar 25, 2018

Maybe answer “not as described”, and return it.......if possible!

7. Gojca Mar 25, 2018

Thanks for the answers!
    The warranty cover movement failure. Do you think that I can ask to share the cost of the omega service?

He is saying to send it back and get a refund, things that I would avoid or send it back and they will fix it, things that I don't trust.

Anyway if I send it back I am sure I will loose money on the exchange rate, again this doesn't make sense as well to me and by the way I like the watch.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2018

The numbers shown do not reflect "optimal performance" for this movement by any means...

All you can do is ask the seller to contribute to the service costs, and if they don't agree then you can either pay for it yourself, or send it back. Many of these sellers use inexpensive watchmakers to do quick services at a very low cost to them, so the fact they have "checked " it doesn't mean much in my opinion. I have been sent a number of watches purchased from certain high volume sellers where the watchmaker they used had done a service, only to find a lot wrong with the movement when I got into it.

dan7800 likes this.
  9. Gojca Mar 25, 2018

Thanks again! Now things are much more clear to me! Thanks very much.

So I I have understood well, because the amplitude is low I can say that the second per day are not a reliable measure, and I am telling the truth. Is it correct?

If yes the things checked and optimal performance are wrong in the ads and unfair to say!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2018

The numbers for the timing are good at full wind, but since the amplitude will drop quickly, the numbers quickly go out of specification.

11. Gojca Mar 25, 2018

I see, thanks again!

Now I have more element to talk with him and make a reasonable agreement.