Forums Latest Members

Automatic or Manual Speedmaster

1. Gasman Apr 11, 2017

i am looking to buy a Speedy but don't know a lot and I am researching the subject.
    What is the general opinion regarding Auto. Or Manual.
    Any advice please.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 11, 2017

Manual for me. But it's personal preference.

SG90 likes this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 11, 2017

I have a few automatic watches, but I rotate watches on my wrist that by the the I get to the automatic watches they have stopped.

The blancpain FF had a huge reserve, so that was a plus, but seems my current watches are 48-72 hours.

gemini4 likes this.
  4. abrod520 Apr 11, 2017

The manual-wind Speedmaster Professional is the watch that NASA qualified for spaceflight; depending on the model, the automatic models may be larger or smaller. Which automatic model are you considering?

Mad Dog and Tritium like this.
  5. Gasman Apr 11, 2017

I don't really know the best models to buy but I am considering the 3551.2 the white one. Can you recommend the best for me being a newbie?

6. Tritium Apr 11, 2017

If you don't stay longer here as to get bitten by the speedmaster bug, then maybe the automatic reduced will work for you. Some members here love them. They're fantastic watches for the price IMO. But if you dig deeper, you most probably end up liking the proffesional (manual wind), and his vintage relatives.

Some interesting reading:
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/spe...ed-versus-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch/

Edit: I just realized I was comparing the proffesional with the reduced, but there are plenty of other automatic examples like the 3551.20 you mentioned.
    IMG_7661.PNG

Gasman likes this.
  7. M.C.B1974 Apr 11, 2017

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum!:)
    looks like you have looked around and found a model that you like which is a great start.
    Do you have a local Omega Dealer in your area or a Friend who might have a couple different model Speedmasters?
    It might be a good idea to try on a few different models and see how they fit and feel, You will probably be drawn to one more then the others and that might be the best one to buy.
    The heart will want what the heart wants.;)

Gasman, OMGRLX and Tritium like this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 11, 2017

I'm all for doing research, and would always advise trying a few different sized models on your wrist to get a better real life impression.

But in the end, buy what you like, not what other people say you should like ;)

Good luck with whatever you select.

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. abrod520 Apr 11, 2017

You're best off buying whatever you like the most. If you're buying new, do be aware of depreciation, so don't kid yourself that it's an investment (it's a tasty luxury!). You may find that your tastes change as you get further into this hobby.

D.D. likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 11, 2017

The traditionalists will swear by the manual wind 321/861/1861 models and up to a point they are right but the 3303/3313 autos in the Pro case were very good indeed, though won't increase in value the same way. These have been replaced by big fat 2 register designs which look good but jump out at door frames. Here is my auto:

[​IMG]

I am deliberately ignoring the 1970s/80s autos using the plastic fantastic Lemania 5100 movement used in the so-called grail. These are basically early prototype Swatch movements IMO and not worthy of the Speedmaster myth. Maddox was wrong on this score. I am aware that this opinion will be controversial!

Revo and OMGRLX like this.
  11. marcuscarcus Apr 11, 2017

I don't have a speedy (yet) but I'm going for a manual 861. Do what makes you happy and dont look back

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 11, 2017

Hmm NASA also qualified the X-33 which is a Speedmaster and neither auto nor manual so go figure. The 3303/3313 are virtually identical in size to the Pro but I guess you are talking about the Reduced/Autos and the larger 44mm Co-ax. That is the thing about Speedies, generalisations never work.

13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 11, 2017

At my age it's always a pleasure to wind my watch in the morning :whistling:

M.C.B1974 and Taddyangle like this.
  14. abrod520 Apr 11, 2017

Technically you are right but technically the OP asked about manual vs auto and did not mention quartz ;)

I admit I'm not very well versed in automatic Speedmasters, and often overlook the 3303/3313 Broad Arrow line since I confuse them with the '57 Co-Axial Broad Arrow.

padders and Gasman like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 11, 2017

To paraphrase the watch snob. A Speedmaster should be manual wind akin to a fine scotch... taken neat with perhaps a drop of spring water.

Greatoldone likes this.
  16. Gasman Apr 12, 2017

Thanks for the replies so far so many different opinions and so much information.
    Please keep them coming I am learning a lot.

For more info. I have a quartz seamaster pro I like and find really comfy to wear. I am looking for a stable mate for it so assume the speedy fits the bill.

Edited Apr 12, 2017
  17. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 12, 2017

With all due respect, " I am looking for a stable mate for it so assume the speedy fits the bill." would indicate that you are at the start of your decision making process. If you are about to drop a fair chunk of change on something, I'd suggest that you make sure it's something that "sings" to you.

If possible, visit some watch shops and try on a few sizes and styles. There are any number of watches out there, and though there is always the chance of paralysis by analysis, you may end up with something else. Maybe it's a chronograph of some description, maybe a dress watch, maybe (who knows) something like a Casio Edifice might be just what floats your boat.

The Speedmaster is a fine watch in either manual or auto guise, but despite what some seem to claim, it's not the only watch worth considering :whistling:

But as I said before, buy it because YOU like it.

18. Gasman Apr 12, 2017

I do like the speedmaster but haven't yet tried one on. This thread is part of my analysis process. The professional is my watch of choice at the moment.

19. Gasman Apr 12, 2017

I have decided on a moonwatch I am looking at 2 on eBay at the moment 1x2012 and 1x2007 at similar prices and condition. Is it the same as everything else the newer is the best or do the years tell you something?

20. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 12, 2017

Condition and service history is the key with those two, otherwise they should both be identical 3570.50 models with S-L Lume which doesn't fade.

D.D. likes this.