Forums Latest Members

Authorized Dealers and Price negotiating

1. andrewg10 Jul 18, 2013

I live in Vancouver BC and we now only have one ad and it is a omega boutique store. I had the hardest time negotiating with them when buying my watch. I was able to get 5% off, but that is really nothing. They say they don't negotiate. When i have purchased my rolex and other watches, i am usually able to get 15-20% off. Anyone else have this issue with their omega ads?

2. ulackfocus Jul 18, 2013

I don't know of ANY brand owned boutique that discounts.

Spy likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

The operative word here is "Boutique". The Boutiques do not negotiate. Oh they may throw you a 5% bone, but they write that in to the books under other headings. On the other hand regular ADs do give discounts, however, a word of caution here. The ADs are not supposed to give discounts either. They can get into trouble with the Mother ship. For that reason they can appear reticent, especially if they don't know you. So , if you find an AD that is willing to give you a nice discount, don't blab the details all over the web. Ad's cringe when they see, "I got 28% off at Biddles & Sticks Omega". As for your situation in Vancouver, you may just have to purchase out of BC.

RobertOne and Spy like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2013

Can we say "price fixing!"?

Al

RobertOne and ICONO like this.
  5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 18, 2013

Yes.

Cartel is another word that springs to mind.

DLT222 likes this.
  6. tuxedomask Jul 19, 2013

Like to ask if anyone knows, in the normal situation, the biggest discount one can get from an AD say on an Aqua Terra listed for $5,600? I live in Canada, and thanks for your input as I am going to buy one in the coming week.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 19, 2013

see here:
    <edit: merged here>

8. tuxedomask Jul 19, 2013

So is 20% the most one normally can get? Is it possible to get up to 25 or even 30%?

9. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2013

You never know til you ask.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2013

Depends on the watch and on the dealer and on your relationship with that dealer. Boutiques give no discount, many ADs that are /pseudo/ boutiques give no discounts either. Everything else is somewhere in between.

11. OttawaMan Jul 19, 2013

Now, what do we mean by 'listed' ? Like the MSRP on a car? My SMPc had sticker on it saying $4400. The AD had they're 'special' hang tag that said $3750 and I managed to negotiate down a very little bit from there. So off the $4400, sure I got about 20% off...but if its calculated off the 'special' tag of $3750 which seems to be a lot closer to the actual market price, I didn't get no 20% off. I think I got a fair price...not a great deal. If that makes sense.

12. ulackfocus Jul 19, 2013

At the 3 different AD's we use I've gotten anywhere from 5% to 30% off depending on the brand and how many purchases I've made from them. The only dealer name I'll mention is Bailey Banks and Biddle because they don't carry the same brands and are not the same store they used to be. I bought my Breitling from Mindy in the King of Prussia store at 25% off. It was a special order dial too. Windy & I had bought several pieces of jewelry from the her, and I had a print out from a very reputable on-line dealer showing the Chrono Cockpit line at 25% off so the manager matched it.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 19, 2013

Best discounts are before the end of the financial year in Australia.

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2013

Guys please don't mention specific Ad's giving discounts on the forum. Use pm's for this type of info. ADs are generally not supposed to give discounts and it can get them in trouble. That can't be good for us.

Spy likes this.
  15. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jul 19, 2013

eeep no names! lol that is true though ;)

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 19, 2013

Used to be legal in the US (back in the 1960's), then became illegal with the repeal of "fair trade" laws.

Now has been made legal again in a different fashion, through the use of copyright law (see Costco v. Omega).

Someday the pendulum will swing back the other way.

It always does,
    gatorcpa

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 20, 2013

But didn't Omega lose that case eventually?

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2013

I think they did, although personally I don't like seeing Omegas on sale at Costco either.

Spy likes this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 20, 2013

Yes and no. Justice Kagan was new to the Supreme Court but had tried the case earlier as Solicitor General, so she had to recuse herself from the decision. The Court split 4-4, so the lower court ruling was allowed to stand. This meant the "ban" on Costco selling Omega was only effective in the 9th Circuit (West Coast of the US), where the original case was filed.

I know that there have been other cases that have affected the existence of the grey market, but not sure what the effects will be going forward. Meanwhile, I notice a distinct lack of competitive pricing on some name brand merchandise.

Just went to the mall to buy some Levi's jeans. Went to three department stores, all had "sales", but the reduced prices were exactly the same.
    gatorcpa

20. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 25, 2013

1. Read Archer's post about the specified method for checking water-tightness and you'll soon realise why it costs this. Breitling were charging £75 ten years ago.

2. You pay your money and you make your choice. Yes there are plenty of independent watchmakers who will service it for a lot less. It is like having your car serviced at a main dealer. They are more expensive but all parts will be factory original and the methods and tools will all be the correct factory specified ones.

3. The bracelet is a consumable item and yours has been done to death in your other thread. If you think you have been hard done by, issue proceedings through the small claims court - but be prepared to lose a lot of money.

ron n and Superdoc like this.