Forums Latest Members
  1. heavenscloud Dec 11, 2015

Hello all,

I'm a frequent lurker here. I have two vintage Omegas that are being serviced at the moment, and will post pics when they return.

I really like the 1950s Geneves, and I would appreciate your thoughts on the authenticity/originality of this onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Brandon

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 11, 2015

Dial is OK. Movement looks correct. Case has no Omega markings at all.

It may or may not be 18K, but I highly doubt it is the original Geneve case.

It's a shame, as it looks pretty nice.
    gatorcpa

3. Canuck Dec 11, 2015

I may have been looking in all the wrong places, but I didn't see a karat gold quality mark in the usual,places- on the inner or outer case back. You say you like the 1950s Geneves. The info in the listing calls this one a 60s vintage, but the movement looks like an earlier full rotor type from the 1950s, to me. Without knowing the calibre of the movement, vintage is only a guess. I wonder why it is listed at less than scrap price, for an 18-karat case. Call me suspicious!

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 12, 2015

Incorrect case.

5. heavenscloud Dec 13, 2015

Agreed.

I'm suspicious, too! From what I can tell, these Geneves date to 1958-60. I have a ref. 2981 with cal. 491 in steel. The 16.2 mil serial dates mine to 1958. This reference is not listed in the OVD.

I read that Omega shipped movements to South America and the watches were cased there. The listing states that to be the case. You're the guru on these beauties, and I would be interested to know why you say it's an incorrect case.

**I'm not going to continue this discussion for the sake of argument. I've read enough threads where the OP can't accept the fact that a watch is a franken, etc. I won't be bidding on this one, but I want to learn as much about it as I can.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 13, 2015

Thanks, but actually I know much more about the manual-wind versions.

It is true that gold cased watches were typically cased in South America during that period, but I would still expect to see some markings on an original case. Now, perhaps I am going blind, but the seller claims that it is marked on the back of the case, and I see nothing.

Also, the case style doesn't look right to my eye.

I could be wrong, as again, the autos aren't my speciality, but it doesn't look or feel right to me.

7. heavenscloud Dec 30, 2015

Thank you all for your responses. They are appreciated!

shaun hk likes this.