Forums Latest Members
  1. ct1824 Dec 10, 2017

Hi All!
    My first post on here, and just wanted to ask for some help on determining if this speedmaster is authentic or not.
    Its a 105.012.66 being offered for a decent (but not super cheap) price, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting duped.
    Dealer stated that asides from the bracelet, all other parts are original, and the watch comes with an Omega Extract.
    My doubts were raised when I saw the quality + clarity of the caseback engraving, being cynical that it is that well-preserved for an original.
    Any insight is appreciated!

Capture.PNG Capture3.PNG
  2. maxbelg Dec 10, 2017

Looks good to me (except for a high chance of chrono-creep as the chrono hour hand is not at 0) but I'd insist on a pic of the movement and inside of case)-back! I don't really like the number scratched in the lug at the back. Furthermore the case looks polished and the watch is in a well-used state. It all depends on the price.

EDIT: Of course you should look here:
    http://speedmaster101.com/105-012/
    http://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/

3. ct1824 Dec 10, 2017

Got these two pics. The price being offered is about 5-600 above the prices given from the price charts. Not sure if it should be priced that much because of the wear on the case like you said.

s490097580971589483_p278_i3_w2560.jpeg s490097580971589483_p278_i2_w2560.jpeg
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 10, 2017

is this the luxuwrist Speedy?

5. ct1824 Dec 10, 2017

Yep!

6. Dgercp Dec 10, 2017

Looks pretty decent to me.
    I assume you mean 5-600 above "good" example?

7. ct1824 Dec 10, 2017

My bad, yep that's what i meant !

8. jimmyd13 Dec 10, 2017

Have seen quite a few (usually US examples) where driver's licence numbers have been etched into a lug or caseback as an identifier in case of theft. Usually has no effect on value.

9. OddSpeedy Dec 11, 2017

Way over priced. In my opinion this one doesn't meet all the requirements for a SM101 'good' rating. It's 'running', maybe 'running +' and should be priced accordingly.

Needs to be serviced.
    The bezel is pretty chewed up.
    The bracelet isn't adding any value.
    The dial is scratched in a few places and it's pretty damn dirty.

It does have some nice colored lume, thats a big plus. Which got me wondering..... how natural is that color?

I see no evidence of color saturation being boosted or the colors being messed with at all. But the seller definitely knows his way around Photoshop. Notice the dial... it appears very black (great for contrast) but no close in detail is visible. There's no fine detail because the seller doesn't want you to see it; I imagine watches that 'pop' sell quickly. A good bit of luminance smoothing in Photoshop was applied, this noise reduction technique blurs fine detail and gives an almost waxy appearance if overdone. (It's like airbrushing a model). A few other small things were done to give better definition and contrast (highlights were killed) and draw you eye to the watch (vignetting). Basically if I wanted to subtly enhance a photo, but not have it 'look Photoshoped', I would apply these very same settings.

10. maxbelg Dec 11, 2017

Yes, I agree that it's overpriced. Having said that I'd personally buy a watch even if it is overpriced if I really want it. I'm not so sure about this watch but you need to decide this for yourself. I've held watches in my hand that I just didn't want to give back to the sales-person regardless of the price-tag.:D

bushcamper and ct1824 like this.
  11. OddSpeedy Dec 11, 2017

I totally agree, and there's no doubt it will sell. Its a pretty much intact pre-moon... this is a very nice timepiece. Personally though, I'd like to get a 1039 and a fresh service for dropping 10 G's