Forums Latest Members

Australia is winning Eurovision!

1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2016

ahartfie and watchme like this.
  2. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside May 14, 2016

Fantastic....and Germany will be the top at the end of the list.

3. lando May 14, 2016

Congrats - but when has Australia joined Europe? ;)

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2016

We came second :(

5. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside May 14, 2016

We are still at the top of the end[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 14, 2016

Refused to watch it as the only half-decent song never made the cut. Bah humbug :taunt:

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 14, 2016

Australia has been a massive fan of Eurovision for decades. We were the first non European nation to do a live broadcast, and consistently give it one of the largest ratings across the world. So, last year we were invited to compete,and came 5th. This year, 2nd!

Northernman and watchme like this.
  8. gop76 May 14, 2016

Australia in the Eurovision????

It's me or is something wrong here?

Well, in fact, Australia is so Europe as Israel is, that also participates and even wins

watchme likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 14, 2016

Our multicultural country is made up of a large percentage of European descendants.

Thousands of backpackers from Europe a sleeping in vans around Darwin as I type this
    image.jpeg

Northernman likes this.
  10. gop76 May 14, 2016

And the big question is:

Is Europe a geographic entity or a cultural entity? In the second case we, europeans, have much more in common with australians (or at least big part of Australia population) than we have with turkish, for example

Northernman likes this.
  11. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock May 14, 2016

Poor Slovenia, crushed again by not even making it to the fnals. I just listened to this year's song and it should have done better. I loved Eva Boto's Verjamem in 2012 and Maraaya's Here For You last year.

12. Mothra May 15, 2016

tbf, israel has been in eurovision for years and also creates eu issues. What happens next year if the UK (guaranteed a place in the final because of the money we pay for the tv rights) leaves the EU will also be fascinating.

last night we had our traditional eurovision dinner party. Five couples each randomly allocated three countries for a total of fifteen dishes to be served when the act is performing. Highlights included olive oil gelato on brioche and gin and tonic cake with a gin and tonic slush.

ahartfie likes this.
  13. Mothra May 15, 2016

oh yeah, we were cheering on oz as well...

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 15, 2016

Australia, Italy and Poland had the best voices and songs imo.

As to Australia in euro vision I don't get it. It's not about being in the EU it's about being in continental Europe. Israel is also questionable imo. Turkey is definately right on the bridge. "Western" or non western in character the continental border is there.

Lots of countries from Argentina to Canada etc etc are European in character, and many more have European tourism....but are not European. They could come up with intervision and see if it sticks.

15. Andreas May 15, 2016

And you forgot Azerbaijan, which btw last year hosted the first European Olympic games ::confused2::

16. ViaAppia May 15, 2016

The best song rarely wins with eurovision. Same story this year, Ukraine won just because of politics, not voicing my opinion on the politics, but if this is a contest about music it should be about the music...meh.

17. Northernman Lemaniac May 15, 2016

I'm packing my bags right away....... Haven't considered sleeping in a van for some time, but was more than tempted by your "ad".....

watchme, Syrte and Nobel Prize like this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 15, 2016

Darn, I missed it - did the guy from Belarus get permission to sing naked amid wolves like he wanted to?