Forums Latest Members

FS Audemars Piguet: Marine Chronometer 1/400 made

1. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 14, 2015

Afternoon all

It's with a very very heavy heart I am offering this up for sale but with recent events needs must and I hope it will go to a good a loving home on the forum before offering it up elsewhere.

IMG_9763.JPG

Although not strictly an Omega it is something extremely rare and a very important watch, it is one of only 400 Audemars Piguet's made with the Omega calibre 1511 Marine Chronometer movement fitted.

IMG_9758.JPG

Everyone on the forum who knows me knows that my passion is Omega watches and more over I have a real thing about the Megaquartz 2400 series of watches. For me these are amongst the most special watches ever made! In short for those not in the know they are the most accurate Omega ever made and amongst the most accurate watches ever made, accurate to 1 second per month and made way back when in the early 1970's!

IMG_9759.JPG

This watch is a calbire 1511 Marine Chronometer movement but branded as Audemars, it was the first AP quartz watch and produced in only 400 examples and has the same 1 second per month accuracy of its Omega cousins.
    The original list price in 1975 for this watch was was £1400 compared to the moon watch at £136 so that will give you an idea of the quality and prestige of the piece.

IMG_9762.JPG

Anyway, to cut to the chase, this watch has been amongst my personal stash of Megaquartz's for two years now, it is basically NOS and unworn, The watch was fully serviced by STS a years ago and has just had a new battery and seals.

I am happy to provide a 6 month warranty with the watch but TBH its in new unworn condition, has been fully serviced and has just had a new battery so it simply does not get any better than this.

These are very very rare watch to start out with but with this amazing condition makes it very special. It is keeping time to 0.03SPD or better than 1 second per month and has been fully serviced and overhauled! Servicing these won't leave you much change from £1000 now but the new owner will have complete peace of mind knowing the beauty is ready to go and will not require work for years to come and I will offer a 6 month warranty to the new owner!

IMG_9761.JPG

I am looking for £3500 shipped NOW £3000 shipped

Postage via RMSD or International Signed for, international buyers wanting additional services can be arranged separately (Parcel Force or FedEx for example) at your cost.

Paypment via BT or PP gift (or you cover fees) and shippping via RMSD or Internaitonal Signed for

Cheers Tom

Edited Feb 17, 2016
  2. ConElPueblo Nov 14, 2015

If this had been posted Wednesday, you'd been featured on Hodinkee yesterday, I'd guess...

GLWTS, it's really something special.

3. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 17, 2015

Gentle bump for this unique beauty, I'd challenge anyone to find another for sale, I've seen two in three years and never one like this in this condition

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  4. ELV web Nov 18, 2015

I am not into megaquartz but I must say this looks like one hell of a great watch! GLWTS

5. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 18, 2015

Many thanks

I think anyone would struggle to say the movement in these beauties isn't a work of art simply from an engineering POV, these were the days when all the cost and all the build quality went in to the movement, the 2.4Mhz is special not only because of it's high accuracy but also the modular make up of the watch and the build quality is utterly outstanding

ELV web, tinger and richard britt like this.
  6. Tom Dick and Harry Nov 25, 2015

I've come to my senses and realised that how special this watch is so it is now withdrawn..........

Edited Nov 28, 2015
    ELV web and taz101 like this.
  7. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 17, 2016

All

Ive decided to resist this as it simply isn't getting an wrist time, I've also adjusted the price to

£3000 shipped

It really is IMHO one of the rarest Audemars ever made and a simply amazing watch

8. tyrantlizardrex Feb 17, 2016

That's bloody lovely Tom.

9. chunkythebulldog Feb 17, 2016

Lovely watch, if I hadn't completely nailed my watch budget over the past few months I'd definitely be after this.

10. Tom Dick and Harry Feb 17, 2016

Thanks chaps

It is an extremely special watch and something quite unique in that it is one of the most accurate watches ever made, Omega spent 30,000,000CHF developing this movement in the early 1970's, when new the Omegas version was £700 compared to £136 for the same year moon watch so you can just imagine what the £1400 for the AP version could have bought you back then!

11. tyrantlizardrex Apr 15, 2016

I keep coming back to how cool this is Tom. Amazed it's still here.