Forums Latest Members
  1. Yo32Leigh Jan 11, 2022

The following Geneve is currently been advertised on the bay and at first glance it looks very attractive. That alone ticks one box for me (personal taste), but having spent way too much time trawling through this forum trying to educate myself, I now find myself been quite cynical of anything that I at first glance like.

In this case the seller appears to be bordering on respectable, providing quite a detailed listing, including identifying faults.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on this item, specifically value and likelyhood of the detailed issued been fixable by a reputable watchmaker?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Ge...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Yo32Leigh Jan 11, 2022

Thinking on, I suspect this is one of those items that somebody with the right skill set and expertise can make good for little expense. Much in the same way a car mechanic buys an old motor, fixes it at his own labuor expense, then sells for a profit. For your average person on the street, the cost of fixing at market rates would make this a false economy. Thoughts??

3. Dan S Jan 11, 2022

In addition to the issues noted in the listing, the crown looks much too small.

cristos71 likes this.
  4. cristos71 Jan 11, 2022

So damaged dial (feet), damaged clasp, damaged case, crunching and wrong crown, stretched centre bracelet links and either running too fast or too slow.......I would say it's worth it only if you have a lot of money, a lot of time and also a lot of dedication.

This I'd describe as a potential money pit and one to be avoided.

Also the fact that the seller knows that the dial feet have been repaired but doesn't show any movement pictures or inside case back pictures either...Then the question is why no pictures? Trashed movement? Dial stuck on the movement?...

Edited Jan 11, 2022
    Yo32Leigh, Davidt and tomatopotato like this.
  5. Tiger131 Jan 11, 2022

I think this is the issue with many things mechanical. My go-to car mechanic drives a 1990 Honda Accord because he can easily fix it himself. I think for those who cannot or is not comfortable with fixing watches, myself included, we need to assume the worst when doing the math: cost of obtaining it, then cost of fixing it. You can also consider the cost of obtaining it, try to fix it only to kill it (I’ve done it),’and whether that lost amount could’ve gone into a similar if not identical but better condition watch. I am actually in a similar boat as you: got a watch that seller says dial is bent but hard to see on photos. He is letting it go because he doesn’t want to look for pristine dial anymore. He is right I can’t tell via pics where damage is, nor how bad it would be to me versus him…still on the fence.

Yo32Leigh likes this.
  6. tomatopotato Jan 11, 2022

I agree with @cristos71, I once brought a similar Geneve that has been 'refurbished' (bought it on the bay) with incorrect crown and taped dial plate on the movement, and my watch smith really didn't want to work on it. I ended up salvaging it as it wouldn't have been a good long-term decision to keep it running.

Yo32Leigh likes this.
  7. Davidt Jan 11, 2022

@cristos71 is right.

Not a particularly desirable model, not particularly cheap and has some significant issues. No redeeming features really.

Yo32Leigh and Dan S like this.