Forums Latest Members

Attempting first time regulation...requesting advice.

1. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 9, 2016

Howdy, folks.

A few months ago I purchased new from a local Seiko AD an SRP777K1 (on right in pics below). I love the watch since it compliments my 6309-7049 perfectly. Over the past few months I've noticed that it loses time (-5 to -10 seconds per 24 hours) in 5 out of 6 positions. It also loses about -3 to -5 seconds per 24 hours on the wrist. The only position where it does not lose time is in the "DIAL UP" position (0 to +1 seconds per 24 hours).

The goal is it to have it gain about +5 seconds per 24 hours on the wrist as well as in the "12 UP" position since it often resides on an Orbita winder when not worn. I like my watches to run a little fast.

I could take it to a watchmaker (obviously) but I want to do the regulating myself...part of my watch hobby expansion program.

The first order of business is to remove the case back without scratching it. I went to Cas-Ker Co. which is a local watchmaker supply vendor and they allowed me to try a gripper ball on the case back on site. No joy...the case back wouldn't budge. They then recommended a 3 prong tool (Bergeon JAXA) but I chickened out and didn't try/buy it for fear of not knowing how to use it properly...therefore, possibly scratching my case back. But now... @ChuckMK23 is allowing me to experiment with his FAKE Speedy Gonzales (on left in pics below) regarding case back removal with a 3 prong tool (or other tools)...thanks, Chuck! So now...I'll go back to Cas-Ker Co. and purchase a 3 prong tool.

Questions (so far):

1. Should I go ahead and spend the $175 for the Bergeon JAXA tool or spend $20 for the knock-off JAXA tool? I already have some basic Bergeon tools and I like them very much. I've been doing battery replacements for friends/neighbors and the Bergeon tools work quite well.

2. What are the techniques for operating a JAXA tool? I will experiment on Chuck's FAKE Speedy Gonzales before attempting to remove the case back on my SRP777K1...but I'd really like to avoid ANY slipping/scratching from the start.

Thanks in advance regarding input(s).

@ChuckMK23's FAKE Speedy Gonzales (left) and my SRP777K1 (right)...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited Oct 9, 2016
  2. redpcar Oct 9, 2016

Do you have one of these?
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't spend $175 for a new case wrench. Look on ebay.
    Did you purchase a timing machine?

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 9, 2016

I don't have one of those mounts and I don't have a timing machine.

4. redpcar Oct 9, 2016

You will need one.
    Save the $175 on the Jaxa and get one of these
    upload_2016-10-9_18-56-47.jpeg
    You can get one for around $150. You will be chasing your tail if you don't have it.
    The movement vise is a must. If the back is on too tight, you won't be able to hold the case with your bare hands. Get a metal one (usually aluminum). Put the watch in the vise then put in a shop vise. The back usually comes right off...............usually.

Mad Dog and Larry S like this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2016

If the watch has issues jumping on the regulator is not the way to go.
    What kind of warranty does the Seiko have?
    if it is under warranty do not mess with it, take to seller or Seiko. Seiko has fast and cheap warranty service out of NJ I believe.

Play with watches that do not matter and study the systems first.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 9, 2016

For using the jaxa tool, it's hard to explain, but here goes..

There should be two wheels on the tool. One operates the top two pins and slides them towards or away from each other. The other wheel operates the third one and slides it up and down.

First, position the top two pins so they align with two of the cut outs on the case back. The pins on the jaxa should line up, but not be tight. Lay the tool on the caseback with the top two pins in the cut outs, then tighten that one up so they're snug, not tight. Then use the other wheel to position the third one. Once it's in position, lay it into the cut out and tighten it up... again, snug but not tight.

Turn the tool counter clockwise holding the watch in the palm of your hand or in a clamp. . Try to apply downward pressure while turning. Nice and even.. A clamp like the one redcar mentioned is very helpful.

Hope that helps. I know I'm not using the right terms for the parts of the tool, but hopefully it makes sense.

Waltesefalcon and Mad Dog like this.
  7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Oct 9, 2016

LG makes a nice case wrench I have the Jaxa and LG wrenches my go to wrench is the L G

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. Canuck Oct 9, 2016

Adjusting a Seiko to compensate for seconds per day is not something I would try, even after decades of experience at the watch repair bench! These watches simply weren't designed and built to achieve that high degree of accuracy. They are not chronometers, and they do not have a micrometer regulator.

The knock off Jaxa wrench is a total waste of money! See if you can pick up a used one, but make certain it comes with all the nibs! There should be complete sets of thre of each of about 4 different nibs.

dougiedude and Mad Dog like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2016

I like this one LG CWR-600.00
    [​IMG]

And of course this one.
    Sherrif.jpg x-master.jpg bar.jpg

10. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 9, 2016

Thanks for all the inputs, folks.

I'm starting to get the impression that this undertaking (case back removal and regulation) may not be in my best interest...and that I could really screw the pooch. It's sort of like those knuckleheads that poke their head in the cockpit of our MD-88/90 who state, "Just to let you know...I've got 10 hours in a C-152...I know what you guys are doing!" They have no freaking clue.

In this case...I'm that knucklehead that wants to play watchmaker. I have no freaking clue.

11. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 9, 2016

I'm feeling the urge to explore too! Just don't know exactly where to start

Mad Dog likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 9, 2016

It's not a hard job but it's more than simply moving the little pointer. Do that and you may change the beat error which requires moving the hairspring stud, and that can make things worse if you don't know what you're doing.

Tinkering is fine, but studying and learning comes before tinkering.

Just wear it. If you want real accuracy, walk around with your watch held dial up all day. Or send it in for a Seiko service under warranty.

13. alam Oct 9, 2016

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. Canuck Oct 9, 2016

Considering the + - allowance manufacturers of high quality watches consider to be acceptable, your Seiko is performing as well as some very expensive watches! Compare its rate with your Speedmaster as a means of deciding whether or not it is likely it can be improved.

Mad Dog and noelekal like this.
  15. meganfox17 Oct 10, 2016

Maybe you should stick to something you love doing @Mad Dog [emoji14][​IMG]

Longbow, Stewart H, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 10, 2016

My father used to always say

You want a plumber, call a fu&ken plumber
    You want a builder , call a ( you get the drill )
    I'm a butcher so don't call me unless there is a bull hanging in your backyard.

So you want a watchmaker ...........;)

Nitzbar, Fritz and Mad Dog like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2016

Get a ball opener while you're shopping, they're cheap and convenient and don't do damage

Mad Dog likes this.
  18. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 10, 2016

Yeppers...I tried the ball opener...no joy...the case back wouldn't budge.

19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 10, 2016

all you really need.....
    ViseGrip02.jpg

20. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 10, 2016