Forums Latest Members

Atomic clock vs Bulova Lunar Pilot

1. Wryfox Aug 10, 2020

Cleaning out the drawers this past weekend(not those drawers), and rediscovered a Bulova Lunar Pilot I had kept in the box, bought over 2 yrs ago. I'm not a fan of quartz in general, but I liked the idea of the technology (262khz) and the commemorative nature of it (Apollo 15). I think I wore it a couple times when I got it and its been in the box since.

Two very surprising things about this:
    1) Watch is still running after 2yrs 3 months(plus however long it had been in stock at store before that)
    2) I set it to the atomic time std when I got it, to the second. It is only -14secs off today (after 27 months!). So about 1/2sec / month. Crazy!

Its a shame I didn't wear it more..maybe I just feel differently about it now, but been wearing it for a couple days and the 45mm case really wears quite easy. I barely notice it.
    20200810_151331.jpg

pdxleaf, DaveK, TexOmega and 5 others like this.
  2. jsducote Aug 12, 2020

BNiBoC - Brand New in Back of Closet

TheNewOmegaMan, DaveK and Wryfox like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 12, 2020

If this was a does this look too big on me thread.........

That would be a Yes from me :whistling: ;)

YY77 and ahsposo like this.
  4. TexOmega Aug 12, 2020

Yes, I tracked the accuracy of mine from atomic time and after one year it was a 1-2 seconds off, and after 2 years, maybe 3 seconds off.

You made need to check your battery.......Just checked mine and it is about 10 seconds ahead after 3-4 years.:D

Still original battery here.

DaveK likes this.
  5. rcs914 Aug 12, 2020

I still think I'd really like to have one of these if I can find one for a decent deal. I like the fact that it is a High Accuracy quartz, and no one can deny it's a looker as well.

What is interesting is that the original "Bulova" watch that went to the moon was really a Universal Geneve with "Bulova" on the dial.

Wryfox likes this.
  6. Wryfox Aug 12, 2020

At my age(and eyesight), too big is now just right. :)

STANDY likes this.
  7. alkearl Aug 12, 2020

I'll throw in that the accuracy of mine hasn't skipped a beat either (similar to what is being described above). A few years old and going strong. Really happy with this watch (size, styling, and of course, accuracy...) and will certainly keep it in the rotation for a long time to come.

20200801_140420.jpg
    Wryfox likes this.