Forums Latest Members

At my wits end with this new Speedmaster...

1. chickenman26 Feb 12, 2015

and I may be too emotional about it at this point to behave rationally. I need advice from someone detached from the situation. And please pardon the rant.

This is the watch from the Hung With New Rope thread below. To recap, it was running fast when brand new and was sent to Secaucus for regulation. Came back after a month scratched and was sent back to Secaucus again. Now it's back again with a new bezel, but it's running at a rate of -10 spd, and I'm really starting to lose my sense of humor. When it first came back from regulation, it had a red dot on the case seam which neither I nor the boutique personnel could fathom, as we knew they'd opened it and replaced parts. This time, there's no dot at all...just the remnants of the original red one. Al - if you're reading this, do they have to uncase the movement to replace the bezel?

So I've owned this watch for almost 3 months but had it in my posession only 3 weeks of that time. It's been in for service twice and needs to go back again. Should I be asking to return or exchange it at this point? I'm generally a patient guy, but this is testing my limits. And frankly, I don't care at this point if I ever see this watch again. The thrill is gone.

2. tegee26 Feb 12, 2015

If what you are stating is true (and I do believe you), then no, you are not being unreasonable at all. If you have documented proof of its inaccuracy then I will find it hard to believe Omega will not make good on it. If they can't fix it to your satisfaction, it should be replaced IMHO.

Good luck and keep us posted.............

3. peatnick Feb 12, 2015

Perhaps you can ask the boutique manager to send your watch to the Seattle service center based on your poor experience with Secaucus ?

A sales person at KOP boutique claimed better experience with the west coast center . . .

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2015

I've not swapped a bezel on a 9300 yet, but on a regular Speedmaster Professional, the movement has to be in the case while you press the bezel on, because you need the dial in place to line up the bezel properly. So I do that with the watch fully closed up. The 9300 may have some other method of alignment, but don't put too much faith in the red dot - it is just a drop of model airplane paint, and can be accidentally removed just by handling the watch.

Cheers, Al

5. chickenman26 Feb 12, 2015

Funny you should mention it, peatnick. My SMP 300M went to Seattle three times and came back not fixed each time. So the boutique sent it to Secaucus, and it's been running great ever since... +2 spd. That's why I asked them to send this Speedy to Secaucus. I guess each location employs folks who take pride in their work and some who don't.

Stu

6. chickenman26 Feb 12, 2015

Thanks Al. This watch is the triple date w/fixed bezel, so yeah, they'd need the movement in the case to line it up. I hadn't thought about that. They got it spot on.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2015

Sorry yes now I remember it. Not a 9300, but the snap style cases where the bezel holds the crystal, so yes it absolutely had to be together to swap the bezel. However if they lined up the bezel with the crystal, then pressed it on, then saw a spec of dust under the crystal, they would not take the bezel off again, but remove the movement and clean it out that way, so not completely unusual that the case back was removed.

Cheers, Al

noelekal likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 12, 2015

Given the situation you've described, I'd be pushing for an exchange.

9. repoman Feb 12, 2015

If what you are saying is the whole truth boiled down, then I would think an exchange seems reasonable... but I will say, no offense intended, I suspect we are not getting the full story here. I just have a hard time believe 2 different watches and 7 factory service events, and only one was satisfactory. You mention -10 spd after multiple services, but you don't mention how that is being measured. What does your local boutique measurement say across multiple positions? I think there is just a lot of detail missing here, and a lot of emotion involved.

10. chickenman26 Feb 12, 2015

You're getting the full story and with no embellishment.
    No offense taken. You make a good point about measurement. My boutique has no equipment to measure accuracy over 5 positions or even one position. As for me, I only care about what it actually does on my wrist. Granted, one day isn't long enough to get an accurate read on that, though indications aren't good. I've given the watch 40 winds manually and will wear it normally for a week before deciding what to do or posting anything further.

11. Shem Feb 12, 2015

How, exactly, are you measuring the timing from day to day to come up with your number? Are you using something like the WatchTracker app or just eyeballing it?

12. chickenman26 Feb 14, 2015

Not sure what was going on, but I noticed Thursday night that the watch didn't appear to have lost much more time, if any, since my emotional rant that morning. So I hacked it again with the NIST internet clock. 48 hours later, it's behind by 2 seconds. I'll live with that. My apologies for stirring things up.

13. yinzerniner Feb 27, 2015

Yah, patience is always rewarded when it comes to mechanical watch specs. And I've found, whether it is true or just a placebo effect, that living with the piece for a while somehow makes the piece better tuned to your movements and timing improves.

14. ctpete Feb 28, 2015

+1