Forums Latest Members

AT Calibre 8601 and Manual Winding

1. pernpettsof Dec 3, 2013

Hi

Recently I bought my first mechanical Omega - Seamaster AT Annual Calender. It has a calibre 8601 movement. My question is about (manually) winding it.
    Does anyone know how many turns it takes to wind it up fully from a stopped state?
    I did 100+ turns before I didn't dare more :(.

How can I tell when I have fully wind it?

pernpettsof

2. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Dec 4, 2013

not quite sure. Thinking about 50times. More than this was wasting time

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 4, 2013

50 full turns should be fully wound, it will never stop winding like a Speedmaster will, it will simply slip in order to prevent over-winding, so definitely don't do 100 turns :)

4. pernpettsof Dec 5, 2013

thanks - exactly the information I was looking for. max. 50 from now on!

5. Lundy Dec 5, 2013

If you're not planning on wearing your watch on a regular basis ( to keep it wound ), buy a nice watch winder. I'm told it's best to keep your watch running, rather than letting it stop and manually winding it.

6. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Dec 5, 2013

I would Not spent any Money on a watch winder. If you don't wear your watch, then let it stop. So You Save Money in two ways. No money spent on a winder, and postponing a needed repair.
    Greetings

7. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

First, it's an annual calendar. Features like a calendar, moon phase, or other things that are a pain in the ass to set should be on a winder.

Second, the lubricants will dry out long before they wear out so the difference in the length of time between services is negligible.

I'll take the convenience of not resetting the watch every time I want to wear it.

Lundy and watchme like this.
  8. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Dec 5, 2013

Thanks for the libricants facts. Nevertheless I would not spent money on a winder. Winding by hand isn't such an exhausting thing

Bye

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 5, 2013

I actually find winding watch crown a soothing ritual. For manual movement 50 to 100 turns are norm. For automatic 20-30 should be more than enough before the rotor helping us winding it further.

10. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

Touché.

Lundy and watchme like this.
  11. Lundy Dec 5, 2013

Older automatic watches should be wound and running as much as possible to prevent their lubricants from congealing over time, diminishing accuracy. Modern automatic watches generally use synthetic oil; whether or not synthetic oils congeal is a point of contention among watch experts.

12. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

Huh? The same lubricants are used on old and new when they're brought in for service. If you haven't serviced and older watch in more than 10 years, the oils have gummed up already - or worse. Modern synthetics last longer than older natural oils, but still eventually need to be cleaned out and replaced.

Lundy likes this.
  13. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 5, 2013

Who needs a winder with a wife and two daughters who hold the safe combination :(

14. Lundy Dec 5, 2013

I asked the man who services my watches and he says 40 winds is enough.

15. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

My advice: if your watch is time only, or has a simple quick set date then it's easy enough to set when you want to wear it so leave it sit unwound between wearings.

If you have a self correcting calendar of some type (annual, perpetual), a moon phase, or other complication that involves multiple steps in setting then use a winder.

Lundy likes this.
  16. Lundy Dec 5, 2013

That's the exact same advice I was told....:)