Asymmetrical cases and crown guards...

Hi all,

we all love the asymmetrical cases on our Omegas as executeded on the Seamaster 300 and Speedmasters since 1963. This design makes sense to protect the crown and pushers and was well advertised since then by Omega. If you take your time and check other tool watches of the time you will find others that were produced earlier: It seems that Lemania introduced the asymmetrical case design with the TG 195 for the swedish army in 1954, 9 years before the beloved Omegas. And a similar case was produced for the British with the Lemania Monopusher since 1956. Both have marked and dated casebacks which identifies the year of procuction. If you look into details: the cases of the Lemania and the Omega vary only in tenths of millimeters of the overall dimensions so it is possible or likely that Lemania gave the impulse and Omega adapted this to their needs: and designed the lyra-lugs. Since 1932 Omega, Tissot and Lemania were under the SSIH group, so it is possible that Lemania not only had a great movement to pass on but also was upfront for the design of the cases of that time.

Just no to forget the other systems to protect the crown:

Panarai created the bridge-guard in 1956 and Rolex introduced the crown guard in 1959.

So it seems that Lemania was first with design of the assymetrical cases. Happy to hear your thoughts and see further pics!

Best, caselock

I don`t own a TG 195 so I share some pics with the Lemania Monopusher for the British:

3.jpg 6.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg

Hows this for asymmetrical?

IMG_3170.jpg IMG_3171.jpg

This definetely is asymmetrical AND has crown guard/protection: stunning watch! I have to check my boxes now ...

I don’t think omega ever claimed to have invented it.

I don’t think omega ever claimed to have invented it.
I don't think either. But the unique Omega - design of the Lyra-lugs plus the asymmetrical case plus the bezel being larger and exceeding the case diameter makes it so special and recognizable that I always had the impression that this must be their own idea. I never looked into the details before...

I don't think either. But the unique Omega - design of the Lyra-lugs plus the asymmetrical case plus the bezel being larger and exceeding the case diameter makes it so special and recognizable that I always had the impression that this must be their own idea. I never looked into the details before...
Well your on to something with the lyre lugs.

you might see if you do research that certain brands have styling DNA that is somewhat unique to them. Rolex has some omega has some.

in cars you ohh the surprised how many there are.

every BMW has a hofmietser kink and allusions to quad headlights.

all jags have the quad headlights, all Mercedes have the opposite of a hoffmiester kink.

This Lemania Nuclear is sooooooo niiiiiiiice! Congratulations for this amazing lne up of asymetrical cases! Love them too

Meh. Straight lug for the win.

IMG_4206.jpeg
Look at the stop-start button above and compare it with the lower restart button below to their respective distance from the crown. This is the original valjoux 22 of 40's Bovet which was used by Breguet Type20 military watch, and became an exclusive Breguet movement.

IMG_20240606_105833_252.jpg

Nice Bovet! Similar to the Airain and other Type 20: