Forums Latest Members

Assistance with Longines ID

1. simply_slavic Apr 30, 2020

Hi all,
    I happened upon this vintage Longines. It looks quite clean and perhaps original, but unfortunately, the seller is unable to take the case back off due to lacking tools. I'm still a relative newcomer to this hobby, so please excuse any lack of knowledge or misuse of terminology.

The seller says it's a 12.68z movement, and the case diameter is 33.5 mm. The seller states the watch has been serviced within this past year, and it perhaps dates to the 1940s, but I can't be sure. I'm unable to find information on its reference number, as this may be hidden behind the snap caseback. I'm finding many watches having this movement where there is an absence of a 6 numeral (due to the seconds dial) but none in which the 6 numeral is segmented, as shown in the images below. Any help would be much appreciated!

I know I should probably be a bit wary because of the lack of movement pictures, but I really enjoy the patina on this dial. Thanks again!

longines.png

Benbradstock and BlueHands like this.
  2. TropicConnie Apr 30, 2020

Looks original and definitely dates to the time period. The 12.68Z was a really high quality movement, the only pitfall being a lack of shock protection.

Benbradstock and simply_slavic like this.
  3. rondeaux Apr 30, 2020

Hi and welcome. I had this on my watchlist. The seller had it up for auction starting at $285 but it didn't sell. Looks like he has it back up but starting at $300 which seems odd.

I enjoy the patina on this watch as well. I was turned off by the hands though as they appear re-lumed and don't match the numerals.

You're not likely to find a reference number for this watch. If you could see the movement, there would be a serial number and you could date the watch within a year or two using that number.
    Agreed the caliber 12.68z is a great movement. Some do have shock protection though.
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Longines_12_68Z&

If you're concerned about the movement, I would ask the seller for a receipt or reference from the watchmaker who last serviced it. They should be able to confirm it was serviced within the last year.

simply_slavic likes this.
  4. Dan S Apr 30, 2020

Legit, but with condition issues. Unless the seller can provide convincing documentation of a service (preferably with a warranty), you should take that claim with a grain of salt.

5. BlueHands Apr 30, 2020

Possibly inside case back you find an order number with 5 digits but no reference number. You can get this number from Longines archive. The watch is nice, I would date it around mid-40s. Anything matches. Hands had been relumed for sure.

simply_slavic likes this.
  6. simply_slavic Apr 30, 2020

Thanks for the info everyone. Now that I look at it, I agree that the hands are definitely re-lumed. That coupled with the lack of movement pictures is nudging me toward dropping this one. Shame, I really enjoyed the patina on the dial. Oh well!

On the topic of hands, I have a question regarding lengths of hands. There's another watch I'm looking at with minute and second hands that upon a close inspection look to be too short and long, respectively (see below), but perhaps I'm looking too much into this. If someone has any info on this or knows of a source to look at, please let me know, as I'm having trouble finding information on this.
    longines2.png

7. rondeaux Apr 30, 2020

The lengths are correct. What makes you think they're wrong? The minute hand is supposed to reach somewhere in the minute track, which it does. And the second hand should reach the second track, which it does. You could argue the second hand goes slightly over the edge but I wouldn't say that's too long.

I saw the listing for this watch as well. It's an interesting dial but the 8 and some of the other numbers have a strange smudging that I don't care for.

8. simply_slavic Apr 30, 2020

Just making sure for the sake of getting better at spotting these sorts of things. I wasn't sure of the tolerances things like hands have in terms of reaching an exact location on a dial. The eight doesn't bother me too, too badly. I enjoy a nice rugged dial. Anyways, thanks for your input!

9. BlueHands May 1, 2020

This watch is really nice for that price it is offered. It looks overall good, dial is original with interesting patina on it, hand are matching,
    as well as the case. The crown could possibly be a replacement, hard to say with listing pictures. Unfortunately seller is on the other end of the world,
    that bothers me in case of shipping and so on.