Forums Latest Members
  1. Nablus Jun 8, 2016

Good Day,
    I have a 14kt gold Omega pocket watch and I am curious about it's age and value. The serial number is 220807. Thanks so much. Photos are attached.
    Regards,
    Andy

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    fjf likes this.
  2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 8, 2016

Hi Andy, and welcome!

What a wonderful looking watch, has a rose gold appearance.
    To give you the best answer, first, a couple of questions.
    I can't quite make out the first couple digits of the movement number XX21329, can you help me? If it's a 3 something as I suspect, it would date this from 1906-1910.
    Also, would you have a picture of just the inside caseback?
    Give us a little time and we'll research the caliber and give you more info.

Any story with this beauty?

3. Nablus Jun 8, 2016

Dear UB,
    Indeed it is 3821329. It was given to me by my Grandpa a WWI war vet and prospector who grew up in Southern Ontario in Canada. I'm not sure how it came into his possession but I'll check with my Dad on that. Thanks for your assistance and interest.
    Regards,
    Andy

image.jpeg
    UncleBuck likes this.
  4. Nablus Jun 9, 2016

Hi Uncle Buck,
    No luck getting more information on the watch. I look forward your assessment.
    Regards,
    Andy

5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 9, 2016

Puttin' the old pressure on me, eh? I hope I don't disappoint.

Here's what I'm thinking....
    Movement serial number starts from 1906 which is perfect for the caliber 18''' (39mm), "P" flat or "EP" extra flat, "S" seconds hand.
    Pictures of that movement look very, very similar and came in that finish quality and jewel count. Since there were well over 300 movement variations then, basically built by a watchmaker at a bench, there is variation. Do you have a caliper or means to measure the movement, preferably in mm?

The dial with the old style logo is a puzzler as the only thing I found similar was on a "Boys Hunter" but this could go back to the old geezer at the watch bench doing what he liked and felt like. Since these dials are handmade works of art, I can't tell for sure if it's original or maybe a 90 year old repaint. I'd bet original.

The case is the easiest, it's the "Regal" model from the Philadelphia Watch Case Company. They bought the Regal line from Bates & Bacon in 1901. The 14k also tells us an American manufacturer.

Bottom line, I think it's original, from 1906-1910ish and quite beautiful.
    Please try to measure the movement and let me know if that gold has a rose tint to it, just hold it next to a modern yellow gold piece and see what you think.

Please don't wind it, clean it, get it near water or sell it without a visit here.
    The value of the mechanical watch will disappoint you but please don't consider scrapping that beautiful piece of art for gold value.

I hope it has sentimental value that will lead you to service it and keep it for your Grandson.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted!

JimInOz likes this.
  6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 9, 2016

Forgot to mention this puzzle, the Regal line of watch cases is shown as gold-filled, not solid gold.
    Look for hallmarks and look very closely at the engraving inside the caseback to make sure someone didn't add the "solid 14kt.gold"

7. Nablus Jun 10, 2016

Wow! Thank you so much...what a wealth of information. Unfortunately I do not have calipers for measuring the movement. I am reasonably sure the case is solid 14kt. I compared it to a 10kt. gold filled case on another pocket watch ( a 1933 Elgin railroad watch given to me by my other grandfather) and there is a significant difference.
    I also noticed scratched engravings on the inside of the caseback such as "PSS52" "R7995/18" "MR1227" etc. Are these a record of repairs?
    Thanks again for all of your help Buck! These gems aren't going anywhere.
    Regards,
    Andy

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 10, 2016

Bingo!
    Watchmakers scratch service reference numbers.

Be sure and visit with us before you have any work done, there are tips to follow on these classics to preserve them.

Enjoy your connection with your Grandfather, it's a beauty!

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 10, 2016

Good work Jim. Do you think it's a chronometer movement? (Adjusted 5 Positions).

And I really like the wavy patterning on the movement, the dial is also interesting with that honeycomb pattern and the old Omega font.

In all, a very nice watch.

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 10, 2016

I sure wondered about that.
    All the chro. movements I saw had skeletonized bridges, weren't listed with 21 jewels and not offered with the fine finishes of this movement .
    With all the variants, who knows and I sure bet it performs like one either way.
    My guess was a 39mm dressed up to the "9's".

I mainly researched the web and AJTT, studying specs and bridge shapes and I never did find anything that matched perfectly.

Andy, would you be so kind as to drop that off for us to take another look at?

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 10, 2016

It is an absolutely beautiful watch.