Asking your opinion on vintage Seamaster

Hello there !

I'd like to ask your opinion about a watch that I’m considering to buy.
I’ve only been reading threads on this forum for about 2 months so I still got numerous things to learn.
I 'm looking to buy a vintage Omega, and didn't find the chosen one yet.
I recently found this watch that would fit my budget (about 900$) and I really don’t want to make a rookie mistake by rushing things.

The watch seems to me quite legitimate, as the patina looks not too shabby and it's functioning normally - I've been sent a short video of it.
The plexiglass is broken though, and the strap, buckle and crown are not original. The case is in gold, eagle's head hallmark. Unfortunately, I can't get any pictures of the movement as the seller has no tools to open the case...

Let me know your thoughts ;)

Buy it. Probably 18k rose gold (French made case I think), uncommon chronometer rating, and decent chance it has a 352 movement (more valuable than the usual 354). Needs a new crown, crystal, and service and it’ll be a nice watch.

Edit: this is assuming the caseback is indeed gold in color as I think. If it’s steel, then it’s not solid gold and probably not worth asking price without better dial pictures.

Buy it. Probably 18k rose gold (French made case I think), uncommon chronometer rating, and decent chance it has a 352 movement (more valuable than the usual 354). Needs a new crown, crystal, and service and it’ll be a nice watch.

Edit: this is assuming the caseback is indeed gold in color as I think. If it’s steel, then it’s not solid gold and probably not worth asking price without better dial pictures.

Likely 18kt rose gold as you note. The $900 price is attractive, but it looks like the dial is damaged, so there's quite a balance to be found. The text that appears worn/missing ( Fab. Suisse ) is a main characteristic of these French cased chronometers and I really wonder if the OP can live with that after the restoration costs have been paid.

it looks like a good watch to a decent price.
it needs a service and a new crystal which will cost you some money but still worth it i think

If the watch is indeed solid gold then it certainly could have a home here at "The Home For Wayward Watches" for $900.

A service and a proper crown and it'd be all set up here.

Thanks for posting.

It appears to be a very bad redial. Not unusual, but part of the equation. Does the watch have a hour hand? Probably worth its weight in gold if it is 18K.

Thanks a lot for your answers guys, it really helps !

As for the case, even though it looks like rose gold, it is actually yellow gold. Here's a better picture of the dial/case.

Looking forward to read you.

Having seen the better photo, I'm finding the watch much less appealing TBH.

I don’t think I there is anything wrong with that dial except a little patina and a few spots.

There is probably close to $900 in gold melt value in the case. Replacement yellow gold “clover” crowns and OEM crystals should be available for this reference. You’ll put $300 to $500 into this watch for the parts and a good cleaning, but when you see what similar 18K cased Seamaster Chronometers sell for, you will be glad you did it right.

This is a no-brainer in my book.
gatorcpa

In my opinion the dial is genuine and can be gently cleaned if preferred. With a new crystal the watch will appear much better and I would wear it any day. For that kind of money – oh yes!

I’m afraid it won’t go for 900$... since it is listed for auction. I reckon it will fetch a bit more IMO :unsure:

Bet it will fetch more.

The dial is too much damaged for my taste anyway :whistling:

I’m afraid it won’t go for 900$... since it is listed for auction. I reckon it will fetch a bit more IMO :unsure:
I don’t see where the OP said it was listed for auction.

@cristos71 example (middle watch) is worth many times the $900 that OP mentioned, due to its fantastic condition.
gatorcpa

I don’t see where the OP said it was listed for auction

he doesn’t need to. I know it’s listed for auction (estimate 500€-800€ + 25.5% buyer’s fees)

@cristos71 is once again dropping aces from its amazing collection :cool::cool::cool: unfortunately watches like his don’t come to often for sale :oops: