Forums Latest Members

Artificially? Faded Service Replacement Decimal Bezel on eBay.

1. SgWatchBaron Jul 29, 2017

Some enterprising guy decided to artificially fade this service replacement bezel. Hope none of the OF members get swindled by this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253068739374 Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Cad290 Jul 29, 2017

It looks kinda nice, if only he would describe it as what it is

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  3. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 29, 2017

Bezel looks nice and doesn't have the faux aged look.

How do we know it has been artificially aged? Aren't these 'mk II' bezels around since the 1970's?

4. Davidt Jul 29, 2017

Was just about to post this. Modern service item rather than vintage IMO. Look at the spacing at 70. Too narrow to be vintage.

SgWatchBaron, nixf6 and watchknut like this.
  5. td69 Jul 29, 2017

Apart from "7", there are a couple more ways to distinguish the vintage decimal, wider trapezoid on the "4" and bigger round on the "5". This isn't vintage bezel.

6. emilio Jul 29, 2017

Also wondering what the introduction date was of these service bezels.

Normally artificially faded bezels have totally different look.

7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 29, 2017

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...pecial-bezel-medical-telemeter-decimal.27085/

And just to play devils advocate, nowhere in the ad does it make any claims about the exact age of the bezel beyond "vintage", which has no clear definition, however Ebay has the following advice - "Watches that are at least 100 years old are antique while vintage watches must be at least 25 years old". Also, "100% original" is meaningless unless you assume you know that the "original" referred to is a much older style. Nowhere does he make any claim about the bezel being faded by "natural" means or by some process he has applied. He simply says "Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch the Decimal Scale Bezel faded To Gray Ghost"

With all due respect to the OP, these is no proof (beyond an opinion/assertion) that this has been "artificially aged" or that anyone buying it will have been "swindled"

Yes, there is a paucity of detailed information, and yes, the description could be classified as weasel words or being economical with the truth, but you have the option of asking for more information from the seller should you wish.

Caveat emptor.

Edited Jul 29, 2017
  8. SgWatchBaron Jul 30, 2017

I did just that before making this post. It's much easier to feint ignorance than to admit the truth for what it really is. An artificially faded bezel.

IMG_5169.PNG
    watchknut likes this.
  9. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 30, 2017

"Doesn't know" what it is but knows how to distinguish, that's what I read ::screwloose::
    :whipped:

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 30, 2017

I'm afraid, as far as I'm concerned, the devils advocate points I made earlier still stand. Nothing in the question asked or the answer given proves or disproves the accusation that this has been artificially aged with the implication that it's a swindle. And in any event, even if it has been artificially aged (however that is to be defined), in my opinion, there is nothing in the ad that claims it's been "naturally" aged (however that is to be defined). As far as I'm aware, even if it has been artificially aged, it can be legally sold.

Read what is actually written in the ad. If you choose to make inferences beyond that, then that's your right, but when you make accusations amounting to fraudulent motivations ("swindled"), then be prepared to substantiate them against the actual words used in the ad description, not against your assumptions or opinions of what you believe should have been written.

Edited Jul 30, 2017
  11. SgWatchBaron Jul 30, 2017

Kindly point me to nearest service replacement bezel that has been naturally faded and documented to have done so, and I'll change the wording of my post. If not, "swindled" still stands. :(

12. emilio Jul 30, 2017

Please show my why it's been artificially faded. And as well how it's been done.

The artificially faded (bleeched) inserts have a totally different look.

13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 30, 2017

Must admit, would love to know how it's been done assuming it has been artificially faded, as I think it looks great. And if it's a trick everyone knows how to do then it loses its' power.
    If you look at the picture of the back side of the bezel it does look in remarkably good condition, almost like new!

14. SgWatchBaron Jul 30, 2017

I don't own the bezel, I'm merely pointing out an artificially faded bezel to the community. Also, the burden on proof is on the seller not me. Fact of the matter is, service bezels do not fade. And it's "bleached" not "bleeched".

15. SgWatchBaron Jul 30, 2017

They usually tape up the back of the bezel, dunk it into a solution of water, white vinegar and bleach. And presto! An artificially faded bezel is born. The tape protects the back from the tell tale sign of a bleached back, which would show that the bezel has been bleached before.

16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 30, 2017

I don't know what legal, moral or ethical system you live under or adhere to, but to state that the burden of proof falls on the accused rather than the accuser would go against the generally accepted principle of "innocent until proved guilty".

Therefore it's up to you to prove the bezel has been artificially aged and also that the advert as worded will result in a swindle. In my opinion, you have done neither.

MaiLollo and emilio like this.
  17. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 30, 2017

I think @MaiLollo has an example of a faded service bezel :

IMG_9610.PNG
    (Borrowed his picture from his Instagram)

I remember we already had a chat with him when he posted the first pic of this watch. I was also very surprised to see such a bezel.

MaiLollo likes this.
  18. emilio Jul 30, 2017

Looks like your English is much better than your legal sense..

ConElPueblo and SgWatchBaron like this.
  19. perks713 Jul 30, 2017

::popcorn::

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  20. SgWatchBaron Jul 30, 2017

Thanks man. What a nice guy.