Forums Latest Members

Are you considered a fanboy?

1. Spy You know my name. Dec 17, 2013

I have never liked the label "fan boy" because I do not believe it is good to be strictly dedicated to one thing. This does not mean a person who only has one OMEGA (or whatever brand) is a fan boy since these watches are not exactly at the K-Mart jewelry counter price point. If an owner goes his entire life without getting a new watch I believe that also does not categorize them as a fan boy.

From my observation, a lot of the time a fan boy is one that thinks their favorite brand is "God's gift to horology" and refuse to acknowledge advancement or features in other brands that are superior to the one they are loyal to.

That said I personally do not consider myself a fan boy of OMEGA. I love OMEGA watches and I am really proud of the brand history and achievement and their contribution to the world of horology. I own two OMEGA's and have five on my wish list but I admire and support many other brands. Because of this I am taking a break from buying a new OMEGA because I want variety in my collection.

2. ulackfocus Dec 17, 2013

I'll go ahead and be my normal tactful self:

I hate fanboys - of any type. You can collect only one manufacturer if you wish, but don't post prose extolling the virtue of your personal pet brand while forsaking other makers as false prophets. I don't want to see you swooning. :D Despite this being Omega Forums, I don't recall any bias one way or the other towards any worthy watch. Sure, we rib each other on certain subjects - especially quartz - but if a company makes a decent product* we appreciate it.

*notice the 'decent product' wording - which leaves out Invicta, Jonny Sonbul, and Aximum.

Prange and Spy like this.
  3. Spy You know my name. Dec 17, 2013

LOL

Personally, I hate quartz. It is because of quartz Switzerland almost got sunk like the HMS Hood. But I do respect others view of quartz and their owning them.

4. Baco Noir Dec 17, 2013

I avoided quartz until I found the Breitling Aerospace. Call me a fan, but not a fan boy. I also own Blancpain, Omega, Seiko and Citizen. Looking at GO, VC and others for my next dress watch.

5. Spy You know my name. Dec 17, 2013

Breitling's are an exception in some cases. Do they still produce quartz chronometers?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2013

I think we've done reasonably well to avoid the whole fanboyism here, the fact that there's a strong group of Zenith and Universal Geneve guys, a few Heuer collectors, and the odd Longines nut posting incredible flagship pieces from those brands helps keep things on an even keel.

Spy likes this.
  7. Spy You know my name. Dec 17, 2013

I think so also.

8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 17, 2013

Fanboyism is a dead end. Watches are the thing. Brands are not.

[​IMG]

9. Spy You know my name. Dec 17, 2013

LOL!

10. Baco Noir Dec 17, 2013

The Breitling 79 thermocompensated superquartz is still used in the Aerospace, but I didn't see an notation that it's been certified as a chronometer, but with the accuracy of the superquartz, does it really need to say COSC for people to believe it's accurate?

11. Spy You know my name. Dec 17, 2013

I thought I remember seeing quartz Breitling's with COSC?

12. Baco Noir Dec 17, 2013

I stand corrected! From Breitling's website...

Breitling has redesigned its electronic multifunction Aerospace chronograph in a style that is even more powerful and dynamic, yet as technical as ever. Its distinctive features include a slightly larger diameter, an engraved bezel with integrated rider-tabs, redesigned hands and numerals, and a beveled glass. The light yet sturdy case in titanium – a favorite metal in the field of aeronautics – is entirely satin-brushed. Equipped with a chronometer-certified SuperQuartz™ movement, ten times more accurate than standard quartz, the Aerospace Evo is distinguished by its particularly simple and logical control system. Simply rotating, pressing or pulling out the crown is enough to operate the entire set of functions that are useful to aviators: 1/100th of a second chronograph, countdown timer, 2nd timezone, alarm, audible time signal (minute repeater) and calendar. This model also features an extremely effective and NVG-compatible display backlighting system. It may also be equipped with an optional auxiliary Co-Pilot electronic module integrated into the metal bracelet.

13. Spy You know my name. Dec 18, 2013

I knew it!

14. Baco Noir Dec 22, 2013

I think this proves without a shadow of a doubt that I'm not a fanboy! Didn't even recall an important "selling point" of a watch I bought earlier this year. LOL

15. GETS Dec 23, 2013

I despise fan boys. I find an irresistible urge to want to punch my monitor every time one of them posts some asinine b******t about their pet brand.

Spy likes this.
  16. Spy You know my name. Dec 23, 2013

It always seems as though all it takes is one to start cackling and it gets a horde of fan boys to come out and attack like zombies in World War Z.

17. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2013

World War F?

18. Spy You know my name. Dec 23, 2013

World War F(an boy)

World War Z was a good movie too.