Forums Latest Members

Are WatchGuy UK worth the hassle?

1. Gaz6263 Mar 15, 2017

Have never used them but thought I'd give them a try. Maybe it's me but trying to book a service is like trying to win the lottery. You have to be online at the exact time a space becomes available. Trouble is if you've got a pesky job that kinda fills your day, that makes it almost impossible. Still they always seem busy so it must work for them.

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 15, 2017

Yes :thumbsup:
    Quality sells so they will always be busy, worth the effort to get a slot.

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 15, 2017

They have a good reputation, but there are plenty of others out there too.

Tubber likes this.
  4. lillatroll Mar 15, 2017

There is a recommendation for another watch maker on his page. Perhaps you could try him

5. Davidt Mar 15, 2017

I've used them several times and always been very happy with Christian and Mitka's work, communication and turnaround time.

The on-line service history is a great resource as well for keeping track of what you've had serviced when.

6. Tubber Mar 15, 2017

I tried multiple times and couldn't get a slot. I never have access to fast internet which means I am never in the running. I just found the whole thing a bit of a circus. I contacted a member on here and he has been absolutely tip-top.

Gaz6263 likes this.
  7. ConElPueblo Mar 15, 2017

I'll absolutely advise that you should not use his services. Have had some very bad experiences with him!!!1

grumble grumble, bloody new customers taking up slots, grumble grumble...

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 15, 2017

Getting a first slot is a bit of a pain but to answer your question they do good work and are well priced
    They do it to be fair to all new customers
    Like many I 'failed' first time and had to wait a month or so for another go
    -but once you're 'in'your in
    I thought the 'lottery' slots were all timed in the evening UK time?

9. Tubber Mar 15, 2017

Would you care to elaborate? PM if you want.

10. ConElPueblo Mar 15, 2017

I'll do it here - I am a very happy customer and would like all others to stop sending them watches, so they can concentrate on mine instead :D :D

George.A, Als 27, lando and 4 others like this.
  11. Tubber Mar 15, 2017

I was waiting for something scandalous!

12. ConElPueblo Mar 15, 2017

To be honest, I don't know if they are better or worse than other watchmakers, but I have been happy with their services, and having all my service info and pictures available at all times on their webpage is a great asset.

13. Gaz6263 Mar 15, 2017

Sounds like I should persevere for a t least a few weeks.

14. Gaz6263 Mar 15, 2017

From what I can see, they seem to be between 8am to 5pm.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 15, 2017

I am sure they do a good job but I am not sure they are any better than Duncan at Thewatchbloke and are certainly more expensive, up to 30% in most cases. I managed to snag a WG slot for one of my 2577s which they knocked back due to parts availability issues and to be honest wont be rushing back since I have cheaper options for straight forward stuff and more capable options for pieces that need parts or factory work. I guess once you are over the queue issues they are useful enough but I manage just fine with the options I use.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 15, 2017

Ah!
    that's not the normal booking page I've seen before and is very confusing
    they used set a time with a fixed number of slots for new customers - every month or so - set around 7.30pm
    not sure what the current system is that they're showing now

17. keywerd Mar 15, 2017

They updated it about a month or so ago to this random timing version. They have a blog post about the reasoning behind it. I was getting desperate and started tracking it with https://visualping.io to get email notifications when it was updated. I ended up getting lucky on a random refresh of the page.

Peemacgee likes this.
  18. Xrob45 Mar 15, 2017

A few recommendations for other UK based watch makers / servicers would be really helpful....thanks in advance..

19. CBRCCC Jul 3, 2019

I to had a bad experience with them and I wish i had gone to a recommended Omega authorized repairer at the outset..
    Basically i didnt tick a box on their form for waterproofing for my Vintage Omega watch as i am not a watch excpert and was not advised to do so by Watchguy.
    Something Christian admitted was a possible oversight by him as i live in Thailand.but it was my fault so tough!
    After some it stopped functioning so i returned it to Watchguy under warranty and was informed Water had got in to my watch which i assumed was via the humidity something which had never happened in 15 years in Thailand..
    Anyway i suggested a compromise whereby i would pay for the parts if he would cover the labor but I got no change at all from Christian but he did offer to buy my watch in it current condition for what appeared a to be fair amount..
    I obviously I refused because the watch has been in my possession since 1976 and i didn't want to part with it under these circumstances.
    So I have since had my watch repaired again {and waterproofed)by The Watch Hospital for approx 20 pound more than Watchguy charged and the difference is night and day.as they are a authorized Omega repairer. .
    Received with a certificate and 24 months warranty plus a bio on the guy who did the work with 37 years experience in Omege watches.
    I learnt a expensive lesson so i have put this on here so that any other unsuspecting non watch guru,s will not make the same mistake I did>.

20. albertob Jul 3, 2019

Excellent service!!!

westmouth likes this.