Forums Latest Members
  1. jayrock26 Oct 29, 2016

the market keeps fluctuating its getting harder to tell if buying a speedmaster is a good idea now or to wait.

Anyone here think that buying a all original cal 321 speedy or premoon would be a bad investment? that the values may go down or will they always be something to be had.

just thinking out loud here

2. Buck2466 Oct 29, 2016

It's all about condition, condition, condition! Personally, I don't think they are going down anytime soon. The rarest examples will always hold their value.

Tritium likes this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 29, 2016

I have been thinking about getting a daily wearer for a few months now. Vintage, but not necessarily rare or particularly desirable models in well worn but decent condition have been consistently above $2500. In the past week I have seen 2 watches sell in the $2200 range. Like precious metals, this may be a dip before a rise, there may be a crash. This observation is for Speedmasters with Cal 861 movements.
    MIND READER.jpg

Edited Oct 29, 2016
  4. Buck2466 Oct 29, 2016

Also, I think the rise in Speedmaster prices has had an effect on all vintage Omega's. I have noticed pricing on vintage Omega's in general seem to be going up.....maybe just in the asking price

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 29, 2016

Nothing to indicate anything but up that I've seen.

Either way, I'm of the opinion that, like the best time to plant a tree, the best time to buy a watch is...

RIGHT NOW!

rbob99, Mark020, Dash1 and 3 others like this.
  6. jayrock26 Oct 29, 2016

its hard ive had to sell and buy many vintage watches just to have the ones i wanted. but its deciding wether i want to invest in an all original cal 321 speedy unpolished, or not. want to make sure im not throwing money away doing so

7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 29, 2016

I think your observation about the relationship between Speedmaster prices and Omega prices, in general, is true. I feel the more compelling factor is the lack of supply of collectable watches. By collectable, I am referring to watches that check off certain desirable characteristics.

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 29, 2016

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 29, 2016

Do you really expect to get an unbiased, objective opinion? Usually if you want a credible assessment or statement of fact, you need a source that doesn't have a stake in the outcome.

Traveler and dennisthemenace like this.
  10. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 29, 2016

Bubble, bubble toil and trouble...

Mark020 likes this.
  11. Just Livin Oct 29, 2016

Buy a watch that you like the look of and want to wear. Then whether it goes up or down it really doesn't matter. 321 or not. I doubt the investment will ever become a write off. And you get the enjoyment of wearing if you are a watch nut.

But if you are buying for an investment ONLY. Then do the research and I think you will find that Speedy's are doing well and holding there own right now. As are other brands with a strong historical connection (e.g. Heuer/Enicar and motor racing). But certainly the good stuff is getting few and far between. I sense only when the good stuff starts to flood the market will we see a potential bubble burst. But not even getting a sniff of that happening right now. Collectors are keeping that for themselves:)

I sense like most here its about the hunt and unearthing a gem at a flea market, or Ebay or private sale. Otherwise as @oddboy states refer to
    http://speedmaster101.com/blog/october-market-report-speedmasters-over-10000/

12. kkt Oct 29, 2016

There are two questions in the original post: will vintage speedmasters continue to appreciate, and will their value go down. Seems most likely to me that they'll stay about the same.

I'm not such a big fan of vintage watches purely as an investment. They might go up, they might not. But if you wear them, there's also risk: bang it hard, get mugged. There's also cost to keeping them serviced, and it would take some time to sell them if you needed to. And if you don't wear them, where's the fun in that? If you don't care about the watches as anything but an investment, instead see your financial adviser about some mutual funds. However, if you really like vintage watches and would regard possible appreciation as a bonus, then go for it!

13. Just Livin Oct 29, 2016

Ha. My crass modern day Rolly gets more attention and comments than my vintage Speedy. I feel safer wearing the vintage so far as muggers are concerned:)

Psych, LawBrk, oddboy and 1 other person like this.
  14. jayrock26 Oct 29, 2016

Dont get me wrong friends, i am a true vintage watch lover and plan on keeping it. But its always a nice thought knowing the passion for what you have on your wrist is also something that doubles as an investment to give you piece of mind in spending that much on a watch when your a young buck ;) im a two birds one stone kind of guy

Just Livin and oddboy like this.
  15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 29, 2016

My thoughts about this when I first started collecting vintage omegas in 2008 are the same today - if your intent is investment then all you would buy is cal. 321 speedmasters in good, original condition. IMO for the foreseeable future these watches will continue to go up in value. I have not bought any of these watches in the past 2-3 years but those I purchased from 2008-2013 have appreciated between 200-1000% considering what they would be worth in 2016. And we're not even at 2019 which is the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing during which we will likely see a further increase in values with all the marketing Omega will surely do that year to celebrate their most iconic wristwatch.

Psych, Pahawi, STANDY and 4 others like this.
  16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 29, 2016

Let's see them! ::bleh::

watchknut and oddboy like this.
  17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2016

You haven't recorded a photographic record of all of Mike's Speedmasters????? ::facepalm2::
    What were you thinking :rolleyes:

STANDY and gemini4 like this.
  18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 29, 2016

I'd pay a subscription to see them all once a year.

Tritium, jaguar11 and Syrte like this.
  19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 29, 2016

I've been too busy trying to buy his rejects

Traveler and watchknut like this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2016

You can afford his rejects :eek: ???,
    I can only afford what he throws away ::facepalm2::

Traveler, LawBrk, Uniqez and 3 others like this.