Forums Latest Members

Are vintage Speedmasters heavier than modern new Speedmasters?

1. jollyjek Jul 26, 2017

I recently got into the watch game, and I've been eyeing the recently discontinued Speedmaster Reduced (3510.50) to get in the future, when I pass the board exam. Naturally, I went inside my local Omega Boutique to try one on, but it turns out they don't stock any used pieces. They let me try on a few of their watches, like the Man on the Moon Speedmaster and a few of the Seamasters from their Aqua Terra line.

When I was trying them all on, however, I couldn't help but think two things. First, they all looked too big for my small 6.25" wrist; but more importantly, I couldn't shake the feeling that they were all too light from what I imagined, despite trying different models on a metal bracelet and others on a leather and rubber strap. Is the reference I'm looking at heavier? Should I be concerned about the weight of the watch? Any help or advice you can give me would be great. Thanks!

2. KJH666 Jul 26, 2017

The weight will depend on the package that you buy. A watch on a SS Bracelet is going to be heavier than one on a leather strap and likewise a SS case will be heavier than the new ceramic cases.

Given you wrist size and that you seem to know what you are looking for, I would just keep trying different ones on until you find the one that is the right size and weight.

Avoid internet buying on this occasion :)

3. jollyjek Jul 26, 2017

Looks like I'll have to go hunting down for some more specs on my desired references as well. Can different pieces within the same reference have noticeable differences in weight?

4. Canuck Jul 26, 2017

Very much doubt that factory "specs" include weight. My Speedmaster reduced with 18-karat gold bezel on a steel Omega bracelet weighs 110.5 grams, and my 28-year old all steel Speedmaster Apollo 11 20th anniversary model with glass back is heavier, at approx. 120 grams. If you wonder whether two identical models would weigh differently, I guess I would have to ask you to take a guess on that. Would ten grams difference in weight between two watches really make that big a difference?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 26, 2017

Please read up on the reduced before buying a used one, we've had more and more people buy them and then regret it not long after.

6. jollyjek Jul 26, 2017

I'm not exactly sure if ten grams would make a big difference, but I guess that's why I need to try on more pieces. My preference is that a watch should feel like it weighs just enough to the point where you notice it; and I didn't really feel that way with the examples I tried in the store. Maybe I just have to wear it on the bracelet all the time, we'll see.
    Of course, the thing that drew me in to the Reduced was the smaller size, not the lower price tag. In fact, I discovered the Reduced before I found out about all the other versions of the Speedmaster; and I'm still attracted to this one more than the others, despite reading regrets about the Reduced.

7. abrod520 Jul 26, 2017

Go the other way - buy a Professional first, then sell it if you really want the smaller size. Much better resale value so you'd be risking a lot less money

8. Wryfox Jul 26, 2017

I have smallish wrists, and 40mm is ideal for me. My pre-moon looks and feels a wee big. Reduced is perfect. My Wrist size is right at 7inches.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 26, 2017

STANDY likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 26, 2017

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 26, 2017

The older ones are much heavier, they are filled with helium before they leave the factory.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. jollyjek Jul 26, 2017

Yeah, my puny wrists come in at 6.25", so that's what I am seriously considering the reduced. 40mm might be big for me, although I'll be sure to try on lots of other 40mm Speedmasters before making a decision.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 26, 2017

My GF wears my 39/40mm Speedy Yeman and she has tiny wrists.

The Speedy Pro does not wear large for a 42mm

IMG_4492.JPG

I'm 7.5 inch and she needs custom small straps as she is under 6 inches.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 26, 2017

Older ones cost a lot more, thus you walk away lighter -> your vampiricly drained wallet is the reason for this weight difference.

jollyjek and gemini4 like this.
  15. kippyk Jul 26, 2017

In space they weigh the same.

Spruce and jollyjek like this.