Forums Latest Members
  1. Jack96 Feb 8, 2021

Hello, I recently found this super interesting forum.
    I want to ask you a question about this watch that I want to buy for a good price.
    Is this Genuine? The seller said that it's quite sure that is from the 40s.
    I'm worried about the dial that contains the word 'Paris' under the pointers block. I never seen that before.
    Anyone can help me? (I know I have only few poor quality photos, I asked more images, I'm waiting them)
    Thank you in advance
    Jacky

P0-1.jpg P0-2.jpg P0-3.jpg P0.jpg
    Edited Feb 9, 2021
  2. 64Wing Feb 8, 2021

Is you nervous that is isn't?

See what I did there?

Mark020 and eugeneandresson like this.
  3. Jack96 Feb 8, 2021

4. sleepyastronaut Feb 8, 2021

Welcome to the forum. Get a close up pic of the index at 10 o'clock, you should see a hidden signature.

Per wikipedia, "In 1972, Robert Hocq, assisted by a group of investors led by Joseph Kanoui, bought Cartier Paris. In 1974 and 1976, respectively, the group repurchased Cartier London and Cartier New York, thus re-connecting Cartier worldwide."

Accordingly, this Tank Paris should predate that reorganization.

Mark020 and Jack96 like this.
  5. Dan S Feb 8, 2021

The photos are really bad. Is it a gold-plated case with a lot of plating removed? What does it say on the back?

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  6. sleepyastronaut Feb 8, 2021

That was my impression, we're seeing the base metal showing thorough. Cases can be replated though.

It's going to be hard to tell whether that dial is worth a damn through all of those scratches.

Jack96 likes this.
  7. shishy www.hpmor.com Feb 8, 2021

No need to be rude, English isn't everyone's first language.

OP, I would be curious what's on the back. I feel like I have seen this dial configuration before. The dial might actually be fine, from the photos it appears all the scratches are on the crystal (although I am curious how a crystal ends up like that!)

Please update us when you get more photos.

Jack96, Davidt, Shabbaz and 1 other person like this.
  8. Canuck Feb 8, 2021

I get the impression that watch is going to need a LOT of work. A genuine Cartier Must tank would have had a glass crystal in it. That one appears to be plastic. A genuine Cartier Must tank should have had a gold plated sterling silver case. That one appears to me to be base metal, with little or no plating left. It appears to have had a hard life, and there is likely a lot of other deterioration that will need expensive attention. My suggestion is to spend a bit more on a better example.

Larry S, Jack96, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  9. Evitzee Feb 8, 2021

These inexpensive Cartiers were made in untold numbers, and probably even more fakes were churned out. We need better pics, and of the back. The crown is not original. The cost to get this back into an attractive, working condition will cost more than the watch is worth.

Mark020, Jack96 and sleepyastronaut like this.
  10. 64Wing Feb 8, 2021

@shishy
    No intention of being rude. Just some playful ribbing.

I am comfortable admitting that I know very little of the Cartier Tank and mostly just monitoring this thread to learn something.

I hope the OP will recognize that my response was in jest.

Hopefully you now know this as well

11. Shabbaz Feb 9, 2021

I also dislike the grammar police on OF. It's a international forum. Embrace the fact people come here and try to write in English. In my line of work I need to read and write a lot. And you could say I'm quite good in it. But writing in English is still very difficult. I could use Google translate for every post but I expect from members the curtesy they wont point out every mistake I make.

Jack96 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  12. Shabbaz Feb 9, 2021

Or is it courtesy!?!

Dries, inchpincher and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 9, 2021

Playful ribbing (or yanking your chain) is fine for regulars who have grown used to the temper of the forum.

For a tentative newbie (sometimes not EFL) it can be perceived as an insult, a snide remark or even a declaration of war.

OK, maybe not the last one, but if you are going to be playful, use little hints, for example : ;)

Now go and sit in the naughty corner for four hours until you understand what you did, and don't take any beer with you.

:whipped:

Larry S likes this.
  14. Borosilikat Feb 9, 2021

The case looks awful even if it is real, looks like base metal that has had gold plating wear off it.

15. Jack96 Feb 9, 2021

Thank you for your useful advice. I wrote this post at 2.30 a.m., my grammar and syntax were off :)
    I'm novice about this specific watch and It's still quite difficult to me how to spot fakes.
    However, somewhere I heard about it's troubled history and the poor materials and bad finishing of which many times this model was made.
    I can't explain how the glass could have been scratched like this though.
    I'll hope to receive some other photos soon.

Ebuster likes this.
  16. 64Wing Feb 9, 2021

Meh, I'm off the beer. Getting too heavy

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 9, 2021

Walk away. This is garbage ... not worth your time or money.

Jack96 and Mark020 like this.