Forums Latest Members

Are they over doing the good ol' Speedmaster?

1. ulackfocus Jan 10, 2017

and at the swimming pool. :D

Mad Dog and Riviera Paradise like this.
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 10, 2017

Since Omega is reading

I'd like to see them keep the LEs down to ~2000. I'd also like to see them not make limited editions look similar to previously released editions ie don't come out with a black dialed ck2998. Or don't come out with an LE that has the basic dial but a different case back.

More importantly stop watering down the Speedmaster with the gray, black, black black, pitch black, white, vintage black, etc versions. I know these are not limited editions.

Not Speedmasters related. I like the micro clasp on my SM300 ti MC but still clasp is to thick. Hard to work a keyboard. I can't work and wear that watch.

3. Davidt Jan 10, 2017

Yeah! Yeah!!!

And re-release the bloody Railmaster while you're at it!!!

4. shane0mack Jan 10, 2017

YES! Master Co-Axial caliber from the Tresor. Keep it to 39mm, and do a flat clasp like on the vintage bracelets.

Pun, Davidt and Riviera Paradise like this.
  5. w.finkenstaedt Jan 10, 2017

So you want a clasp that can't be made, got it.

Even glidelock is substantially larger than past clasps. You want microadjustment without tools, deal with the size.

Fwiw I wear a bigger watch with a bigger bracelet (45.5 Ti PO with adjustable clasp) and work a keyboard just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 10, 2017

hey now, iPhone 'keyboards' aren't like computer keyboards :D

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. w.finkenstaedt Jan 10, 2017

Most of my work from home is done on a 13" MacBook Air. It has stickers where you'd normally scratch your watch bracelet.

But forums are easier on iPhone. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 10, 2017

I am dealing with it by selling the watch. Look for a for sale thread soon. I actually had to take the watch off so that I could respond to this thread.

I sold my POXL 8500 ti due to size (thickness) as well. I tried to deal with it for a month. Best dealt by selling to another member here on this message board.

upload_2017-1-10_16-34-46.png

9. ctime3 Jan 10, 2017

Holy aquaman I did google it and no thanks

QUOTE="ulackfocus, post: 619498, member: 144"]Hahaha! None of you will believe I, of all members, am going to say this, but I'd say Omega hasn't crossed that line as of yet with Speedmasters. They certainly are close though, and Speedies have been made so long the "watered down" aspect has come & gone already. Lots of space anniversary dates to market! They actually got some points from me for this latest LE done in conjunction with Fratello.

Now AP and their stupid ROO LE's.... well, just Google "Montauk Highway Royal Oak" and try not to get a little sick.[/QUOTE]

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 11, 2017

For the upcoming "50 years" anniversaries of the Apollo 8 ~ 11 missions, there's no need for another 'special edition' Speedmaster.
    Just a classic Speedmaster chronograph that's available during that whole anniversary year (2018 ~ 2019) with a subtle reference on the caseback.

11. Davidt Jan 11, 2017

Those are exactly the type of LE that I think Omega need to shelve. The standard caseback already says "Flight qualified etc etc". All these LEs that look pretty much the same as the standard Moonwatch but with a different caseback, or an engraving on the side of the case, or a small image on a sub dial are the ones that are diluting the market and making the Speedmaster range appear somewhat classless.

If you're going to do an LE, make it different and do it well (Ok that's subjective. But for example, I don't personally like the Apollo 11, 45 Speedy but I can appreciate that it's different and can see why people loved it), don't just keep churning out these crappy generic LEs because another pseudo anniversary comes around.

Another example: the 1975 Soyuz Speedmaster. One of the only LEs in the 70's so genuinely rare, sought after and valuable. Will most of the LEs from the last 15 years be sought after or valuable in the future? Will they heck, because whilst there may only be 2000-5000 of a specific model, there's so many bloody anniversary models that are similar they all merge into one.

Edited Jan 11, 2017
    Taddyangle and Riviera Paradise like this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 11, 2017

A good LE - Limited Edition for the upcoming half-century anniversaries is a watch one can't tell directly it's a LE chronograph.
    Hand-wound movement, 1965 classic dial & sub-dials (no logos), simple case (no engravements) possibly with a DON bezel
    Best examples so far: 30 years Apollo 11, 30 years Apollo 17 and FOIS

13. Davidt Jan 11, 2017

This highlights perfectly the difference of opinion between Speedmaster fans. I think the Apollo 11/17 30th LEs are great examples of unimaginative, pointless LEs, churned out because an anniversary crept up.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 11, 2017

Don't forget Hublot LE's........ heavy contender to AP ROO LE's

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 11, 2017

Do you think Speedy Moon to Mars will be sought after if NASA (or Space X or Virgin Space) did send people to Mars?
    (I cross my fingers since I own one :whistling:)

cristos71 likes this.
  16. Riviera Paradise Jan 11, 2017

The current Speedy only has heritage value, because it was actually used in the Moon missions. I can't see NASA sending a current 1861 Speedy on a MARS mission, but I could be wrong. There was some rumor about Buzz trying to help Omega design a new Mars Watch which would take into account the different hour/day ratio etc. If there is a Mars mission watch and the mission is successful, the first edition of that could certainly go up in value.

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 11, 2017

I would have to believe that a G Shock would be the choice these days. Hard to imagine any mechanical watch being used.

Kofosu and Riviera Paradise like this.
  18. TJH Jan 11, 2017

The X-33 Skywalker is the current state of the art timepiece used on the International Space station by ESA, NASA and Roscosmos astro/cosmonauts...

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2017

Is the X33 rated for EVA though or are the Pros still used for that?

20. TJH Jan 11, 2017

That is a good question and one I have yet to find a satisfactory answer to; it does seem that the Speedy Pro is still the only one used for EVA but the X-33 is certainly the one spotted most on wrists inside the space station.

Let's keep an eye out for one on the wrist of ESA astronaut Thomas Pesquet when he performs a space walk on Friday...

Riviera Paradise likes this.