Forums Latest Members
  1. eelpie Aug 15, 2019

Today I picked up this Omega pen set, but I know zip about it, including the language used on the enclosed cards.

The set is complete: hang tags, ball point pen, fountain pen, extra fountain pen cartridges, and what appears to be the filler adapter for use with an inkwell or bottle. The two cards seem to indicate the prices, but I'm not sure what the currency is . . .

I believe the set is authentic as the fountain pen cartridges are marked Germany and the nib in the fountain pen has Omega, the logo, and W. Germany.

Any in-sights would be appreciated.

Grasons_pens.jpg Grasons_pensB.jpg
  2. dsacks30 Aug 15, 2019

Can't comment on the authenticity, but the language is Chinese. The cards use traditional characters, not simplified. The prices quoted in the white card are in "yuan," which is China's currency. The three large characters on the larger card roughly translate to certificate of guarantee or authenticity.

I'm a bit confused because the documents use traditional characters, not simplified ones, which would indicate that this was for Hong Kong or Taiwan, but again the character for the currency indicates China.

eelpie likes this.
  3. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

If no one gets it first my wife will be home in a few hours she can read it I’ll let you know

eelpie likes this.
  4. OmegaFan503 Aug 15, 2019

Yes. It is in Chinese.

The yellow card says "Omega Luxury Pen Set Warranty Card"

The other one says something like "Omega 1000. Pen Set $1000. Fountain Pen $670. BallPoint Pen $330"

Mark020 likes this.
  5. dsacks30 Aug 15, 2019

Must be old because that’s no longer Omega’s brand in Chinese. The card says “亚米茄” (yamijia) but today I believe the brand is “欧米茄” (oumijia). Wonder when it changed...

6. OmegaFan503 Aug 15, 2019

Could be due to differences between Cantonese and Mandrin translation ...

7. eelpie Aug 15, 2019

This is the flip side of the larger card . . .

Grasons_pensC.jpg
  8. dsacks30 Aug 15, 2019

Just quickly glancing at this, it has an address in Taipei (Taiwan) for service. This would be consistent with using traditional characters (rather than simplified, which is used on mainland China). So I would guess this was sold in Taiwan.

9. JwRosenthal Aug 15, 2019

We are 7 posts in an not one person has said that they may not be an Asian linguist but are a Cunning-linguist....c’mon guys!::bleh::

10. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

The back says thank you for visiting us. You have bought a luxurious omega pen/product. If you have any problems with the product please bring it back to (the place you bought it) if the problem was caused by you it will be repaired at a nominal fee.

My wife read it but it is not exact as she told me five minutes ago which is a long time for my ADD riddled brain. If you need exact wording let me know I can have my wife write it down. The writing is mandarin by the way

JwRosenthal likes this.
  11. Walrus Aug 15, 2019

It also says they will replace it if faulty

12. eelpie Aug 15, 2019

I've sent a link to this thread to both of the Omega boutiques in Taipei.

Maybe they can shed some light on the age of the pen set.

Thanks to all . . .

13. JwRosenthal Aug 15, 2019

I love the subtitles of language and cultural differences- you can’t get away with putting on an American product “if you break it we will charge you”....you may offend the customer and even if they do break it, you can’t humilate them by calling them stupid- then charge them.

Walrus likes this.
  14. Artx Aug 15, 2019

Man what a cool set!!

eelpie likes this.
  15. new_heuer Aug 16, 2019

Does no one else think it looks like a fake set?

16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 16, 2019

Shouldn't the top of the pens be the same shape as the top of the slots in the insert? And I would have thought Omega would have a logo very prominent on those pens. Maybe original box with wrong pens?...::confused2::

I still like it though...::shy::

Edited Aug 16, 2019
    Nathan1967 likes this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 16, 2019

The slots in the top are for your grubby little nose picker to get in and lift the pens out of the case I guess.

:D

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 16, 2019

And at over 12 hours old, I still can't believe the title of this thread hasn't attracted any double entendre responses pertaining to the "other" linguists.

;)

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  19. eelpie Aug 16, 2019

Yeah, prominently displaying the name on the pens would've been a good idea.

Oh, wait a minute . . .

Grasons_pensD.jpg
  20. new_heuer Aug 16, 2019

I'm sticking with fake. Omega branded ink cartridges!!!