Forums Latest Members
  1. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Mar 4, 2015

Price of an Omega in the 60ties

i was wondering what was the price "out of the omega store" of a "standard omega seamaster automatic" and what is the market value of such a (the very same) watch today?

- its more a philosophical question. Im aware, that SOME (very few) models are extremely valuable today whereas others were produced in large quantities and flood the market. But in gerneral - if my granddad would have bought a standard cal 552 Seamaster...)

The other question arising is how many "liters of milk" could you purchase in the 60ties instead of an omega watch and about how many can you today?

:p

Edited Mar 4, 2015
  2. lwong Mar 4, 2015

The Omega SM 120 in my avatar was purchased for USD$417.25 in 1975 (I have the B&P).

Based on some random US CPI inflation calculator off the web (not the most accurate way to measure, I know), which marks the average at 3.85% per annum, current value would be USD$1880.84.

I do believe they go for a little bit more than that nowadays, though. ;)

3. calalum Mar 4, 2015

The desirable pieces (of course, tastes change over time) certainly are doing far better in the market than others that are less in demand. That creates opportunities if your tastes go against the grain. I will leave the economic analysis to others, but I can say from a personal perspective that buying vintage Omegas would be very profitable if I were to become a seller. In any event, buy and enjoy what you like.

4. micampe Mar 4, 2015

Inflation rate from 1959 to 2015 (according to the same online inflation calculators lwong mentioned) is ~700%.

[​IMG]

image from http://www.old-omegas.com/

noelekal likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 4, 2015

You've just opened a major can of worms.

You can't judge anything by inflation calculators. Any Swiss brand would need to take into account the relative devaluation of the US dollar against the Swiss Franc. In the early 1960's US$1 bought about 4 Swiss francs. Now 1 franc = US$1.04. It has been as high as $1.17 recently, depending on the games the Swiss have been playing in the currency markets. So whatever figure you get by using the inflation calculator in dollar-to-dollar terms, probably has to be multiplied by at least a factor of 4.

Also, I don't know which "standard" Seamaster automatic model to which you refer. Back in the 1950's these went for $100 to $150 in steel, a little bit for more gold-plated or capped, and upwards of $250 for solid gold (14K or 18K).

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".
    gatorcpa

ffej4 and M'Bob like this.
  6. cristos71 Mar 4, 2015

What is very interesting to see is that in 1959 it would have been possible to pick up a 2913, a 2914 and a 2915 ( total $ 505 ) for less than the price of a solid gold Constellation De Luxe ( $550 ).

lerxst likes this.
  7. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Mar 4, 2015

well, @gatorcpa

regarding the swiss frank i think in a different way. lest say my granddad in texas would have purchased a steel connie for 200 USD back then... we didnt care about the swiss frank. it was 200 USD. If he sells it today for 500 USD he also does not care about the swiss frank. but if we talk about 700% inflation he could have purchased 7 times more milk in the 60ties than today when trading in his standard conny. --- am i wrong here?

i think its also interesting that a steel watch was less valuable than a gold plated one. Today i believe steel are preferred. Moreover, the ration beween steel- and solid gold is about the same as today (2 steel standard connie = 1 solid gold)

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 4, 2015

Huge difference between models - the 2915 speedmaster possibly showing the highest appreciation and the tiny ladies watches and most of the pocket watches the most depreciation and everything else in between.

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 4, 2015

Let's see the price list for the quartz models. :)

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  10. lwong Mar 4, 2015

Indeed, that's why I concede it's not a good way to measure - merely a convenient and arbitrary one.

Also, I was referring to the seamaster big blue, which is certainly not something one would call a "standard model". 'Fraid I'm not much into the dressier watches, so it's the sole contribution I can make to this thread (as it's the only Omega I have that has an actual sales receipt from 1975, and hence can be precise about the selling price).

11. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2015

You're so close to being banned....... :D

TexOmega, noelekal, gemini4 and 3 others like this.
  12. ock2915 Mar 4, 2015

Vintage Sports models sure....

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 4, 2015

Okay, well on a more serious note, yesterday I was about to create a post that to discuss the increasing value of Omega watches. Of course this would have been specific to the vintage models.

While I am a big fan of the modern Omega watches, the reality is my Skyfall, Prolprof, and POXL, I believe will most likely hold their value as I bought them used, but I would not anticipate any type of increase in these over the short term (2-10 years). I did not buy these as an investment, but because I really like the look, quality, feel, etc.

At this point I feel like I have all the modern Omega watches I need (certainly I would love to have a Good Planet and Speedy Co-Axial Titanium and SM300 CO-Axial), but really I want to explore new challenges in watch collecting and this is where I think I might start looking to acquire some vintage Omega with the idea that they WILL increase in value. Of course this means I would need to buy smart and specific models that would be increasing in value.

I will also hang on to my Gemini IV, and SM300/Watchco as these seem to be increasing in value. These are not considered vintage, but none the less increasing in value.

On another note, I purchased a vintage SM300 that was in good shape from ebay 18-20 months ago. It cost me $1250. The watch was a one owner all original, the only issue was the dial was re-lumed. I returned it. Who would have known.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 4, 2015

If you are talking about collector value, then inflation is meaningless. The market is what the market is. A watch that sold for $200 in 1965 might be worth $10 today, or it could be worth $10,000. That's all a function of supply and demand.

If you are trying to figure out what you would pay today for an equivalent watch, then you must deal in francs, since the workers in Switzerland were paid in that currency in 1965 and still are. There is an inflation factor in Switzerland as well as the US.

If you do the math on something like a Speedmaster, which is pretty much the same now as it was in 1965, you'll find that the ending inflated, currency exchange adjusted figure won't be too far off from today's actual selling price for a new watch.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

15. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 4, 2015

Hindsight is 20/20. If everyone knew what the most valuable things will be in 40-50 years then we would all just buy one thing

16. lillatroll Mar 4, 2015

I like to think I would have bought the watches I like, but I might have bought a few of the valuable ones so I could sell them and buy more of the watches I like

Jacquesass likes this.
  17. timjohn Mar 5, 2015

You can do it on a single-currency basis, but you need to factor in opportunity cost as well as inflation. So what you need to compare is putting your $180 into a SM300 in 1959 and putting it into an interest-bearing account in the bank, or if you really want to get depressed, the stock market. Most vintage collectables -- whether it is a Connie, a 5517 or a 250LM -- seem to go through a phase of depreciation just after purchase when they are merely second-hand and then rise in value as collector demand meets product scarcity.

hope helps

tim

18. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 5, 2015

A really interesting post

I collect only vintage, the value of Omegas 5 years ago V's the value of Omegas today is really interesting. I will focus on Quartz, so five years ago I was merrily buying up Marine Chronometer and Megaqaurtz Stardusts for between £400 and £800 (tops), when they were new they were the equivalent in todays money of £10000, although prices have fluctuated in the last couple of years because of service concerns (now rectified as Swiss Tec in the UK will be able to service these for the next 20 years at least) the prices are between £1500 and £3500 dependant on the model and quality/ condition, IMHO these are only going one way in value and that is up.

There is a grown market of investors who are buying up vintage watches (and in some cases not so vintage) as investment portfolio's, certainly a lot more wearable and interesting than a car or a painting.

The current rocketing prices around 321 Speedies are another good example, will the bubble burst on the value of 105.003's? Maybe and probably but will we ever see bargain 105.003's of any quality again or good examples selling for anything less than £3000? highly unlikely.

19. ffej4 Survey Man Mar 5, 2015

I was about to apply some knowledge gained in my macroeconomics class, but I realize you've got a better grasp on this stuff than I do. [emoji23]

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2015

Yeah, I took macro, too. But that was back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
    gatorcpa

SpikiSpikester and ffej4 like this.