Forums Latest Members
  1. Annapolis May 1, 2020

I suppose this isn't a vintage question, per se, but I'm not sure where else to post the query, and this is the forum I lurk the most. Truth be told, my specific interest has to do with replacing the stainless bracelet on the c.2006 Aqua Terra I just purchased a week ago, but the question applies just as well to vintage pieces too.

I'm just not a metal bracelet person---will always pick leather, silicone or NATO. I've got the AT's bracelet off (boy, that was a fun, expletive-laden process! but I managed not to scratch the lugs or the bracelet itself), and have the watch on a rather cheap NATO while I await a brown croc-style calf leather two-piece that I think will suit the watch very nicely. My cost for the band was about $30.

In shopping around, I searched for OEM Omega bands too and found a fine-looking assortment of colorful NATOs and various leather straps in the right size (19mm), all of them with crisp and shiny Omega logos on the buckles, and all of them selling in 3 figures. My question is: are these OEM bands worth the premium, in your opinion?---in terms of actual quality and/or resale value? Or do folks generally feel like this is a sucker's market? Lord knows, there are some insanely beautiful non-OEM bands out there. (Some of which I've seen browsing through folks' pictures here!)

...Or should I try to work out a trade---the AT's native bracelet for an OEM leather, in which case I'm guessing there'd be more value on my end..? I'm kind of tempted to hang on to the bracelet, though, in the event that I resell the watch and want to be able to offer it as a complete package.

2. Annapolis May 1, 2020

Should add that I'm aware of a few previous threads, such as these:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/are-the-nato-straps-really-that-cool.81665/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/strap-recommendations-for-vintage-seamaster.57208/

Guess I'm specifically curious about the OEM leather pieces.

(To avoid post-farming, I'll add this edit to this post)---also, as a P.S. if you were in the market for an authentic OEM strap, where (besides here at OF, of course) would you be looking? Seems like so many knockoffs on eBay...

3. Evitzee May 1, 2020

There are some very fine aftermarket makers that rival the quality of the OEM pieces, and usually cheaper by some amount. But a $30 strap isn't going to match a good Omega or good aftermarket strap. It all depends on what you like, how much you value quality and feel, and how much you want to spend. I would never think of a strap as adding any value to the watch when it comes time to trade, they are a wear item and a new owner may replace it straight away.

Annapolis likes this.
  4. alam May 1, 2020

Omega OEM buckles/straps are not cheap by any measure and I also find myself looking for other options that offer more bang for the buck, but when it comes to deployant clasps I take no shortcuts and just bite the bullet....here’s my recent Omega clasp/strap combo...

:)

2A894A67-25E2-4BDC-9335-60EDC36E5CD4.jpeg B8988964-8C88-40C7-A42A-15BFDE3CE7F4.jpeg ADB6834B-D409-48CD-AA6A-7D37D4B60A48.jpeg
  5. Annapolis May 1, 2020

Really nice. Did you purchase from Omega directly?

6. alam May 1, 2020

yup.. :)

7. Gasman May 1, 2020

I try to buy my watches of all makes with original bracelet then change it for something I like more. I have leather, rubber, canvas etc. on my watches and only 2 on bracelets as I think that’s what looks best.
    As for buying all the bracelets I think that to me a “full set” includes watch, box, papers and bracelet if it was sold with one originally.
    Just counted my spare straps not including the ones on the watches = 35.

Annapolis likes this.
  8. Annapolis May 1, 2020

@alam can I ask where/how? I might be being a bit daft, but all I see on their official site are NATOs.

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 1, 2020

No.

Annapolis likes this.
  10. alam May 1, 2020

All of my OEM staps/buckles I purchased in person at either OB or AD locations. You need to be careful as there are lots of fake deployant clasps floating on eBay.

Annapolis likes this.
  11. Annapolis May 1, 2020

Ok thanks. Yeah this feels like something (were I to do it) I’d not buy on eBay. I’d probably just monitor this site (in the parts for sale section) for an oem 19mm strap.

alam likes this.
  12. raitosan May 4, 2020

I recently bought a SM600 concentric dial (ST 135.011, Cal. 601, 1965). No original strap, buckle nor box, though.

0.jpeg

Do you happen to know which strap might be period correct for my watch?

My Google image research indicates the following

* Strap
    lizard skin 18/16 mm, black

What are you thoughts? Have any of your SM600 concentric dial watches had period correct strap?[/QUOTE]

13. Annapolis May 5, 2020

You might want to start a new thread for this query, and put details about the question in the subject line. That’ll probably get you more attention.

raitosan likes this.
  14. stevec14 May 5, 2020

They are worth it IMO. While there are cheaper variants, I always come back to omega nato and leather straps. I just think they look best and to me always feel nicer to aftermarket.

I don’t understand why they don’t sell the leather straps etc in the site - just the NATO’s. They are missing out as am sure they’d do some business in the current climate.

Annapolis likes this.
  15. Annapolis May 5, 2020

Planning to put this to the test. I managed to find a used OEM strap/buckle set that will fit my AT (though I think it originally came with a Speedmaster), arriving this week. It cost significantly less than it could have, but still more than I ever thought I'd spend on a small piece of leather. (Less than or equal to many of the high quality third party straps I was considering, though.) Right now I've got the watch on the cheap quick-release I mentioned (see attached pic): it looks very nice (better in person that this iPhone pic suggests), but I'm not loving how it feels, even after I've spent quite a bit of time working the leather.

IMG_0722.jpg
  16. Annapolis May 5, 2020

It's also super ocd of me, but seeing the reflection of the little quick-release knob on the bottom of the watch case... no bueno.

But I do like the look of the AT on brown leather! So this was a $28 proof-of-concept experiment that went well.