Forums Latest Members

Are members invested in Bitcoin?

1. Walrus Jan 6, 2021

Ya I don’t think many bitcoin holders would argue that. What drives a lot of people is the almost libertarian financial idea behind it. Funny though in the beginning you couldn’t give bitcoin away now look at its market cap.

2. Observer I know nothing! Jan 6, 2021

..and mechanical watches that require regular servicing. ;)

lexieb007 likes this.
  3. Walrus Jan 6, 2021

@The Father didn’t we have a brief discussion where I gave you a heads up on Tesla’s split.

Mods likes this.
  4. Wryfox Jan 6, 2021

Hey I got in years ago on Tesla. Just bought my 2nd yacht. ::psy::

5. Walrus Jan 6, 2021

You bastard I thought you invested in toilet paper

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  6. Wryfox Jan 6, 2021

Yep. My new surefire scheme.

Step 1: Buy toilet paper
    Step 2: ??
    Step 3: Profit!!

If each person gets just 6 others to do the same....

CAN'T LOSE

(just some minor details to work out)

Who's in?

Edited Jan 6, 2021
    Walrus likes this.
  7. Walrus Jan 6, 2021

Actually the first three steps are pretty much bitcoin

321Only, Wryfox and Dsloan like this.
  8. rcs914 Jan 7, 2021

I didn't read through the thread just now, but was kind of curious how I would have fared buying Bitcoin instead of my speedmaster when I bought it in 2016. Yeah, I would have around $200K instead of a watch that is worth $4K now. ::censored::

9. 321Only Jan 7, 2021

Welcome to 40k gentlemen

Caliber561 and Observer like this.
  10. Wryfox Jan 7, 2021

Was talking to a friend years ago, we were both going up buy $100 each of bitcoin. We talked it over and decided it was a scam and we'd be throwing the $100 away. It was $1 ea.

I ate the equiv of 4 million dollars in pizza that month....

Caliber561, Walrus and rcs914 like this.
  11. Walrus Jan 7, 2021

I listen to a lot of talk radio some of which gets into conspiracy theories and what not. I’m not into conspiracies etc just find some of those talk shows entertaining late at night. They were talking about bitcoin when it was under a penny. I did look into it but at the time the only way to get it was mining it. I looked into that a little and it seemed like too much effort, plus I was a heavy drinker at the time heavy drinkers aren’t that great at following through with things. So yeah I guess we can find all kinds of reasons to look back and kick ourselves but since crystal balls aren’t yet invented I guess we gotta give ourselves a pass.

Caliber561 and Jonathan40 like this.
  12. Dsloan Jan 7, 2021

Honestly, this is part of what's keeping me from buying a speedy. The market has been really good to me this year, and I keep thinking about the opportunity cost of not investing every spare dime I have. :confused:

13. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 7, 2021

Ok all you greedy bastards I am buying on Monday. Get out while you can!

Had $20,000 in Apple shares in 2000. We all know the story.......stupid stupid stupid

Edited Jan 7, 2021
  14. Walrus Jan 7, 2021

I of course wish you all the luck in the world but have you been through a bitcoin crash yet? They come hard and fast, I hate to say it but I’ve come to expect them. As I look back at the chart of what I have held through it’s almost comical

321Only likes this.
  15. Dsloan Jan 7, 2021

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that all that spare money is going into Bitcoin. Bitcoin is a very small part of the portfolio. I just meant, in general, that making money in the market has been more fun for me than watches lately. But that could change fast. Even faster with crypto.

Anyhow, The Father called the top. Time to get out!

Walrus likes this.
  16. Walrus Jan 7, 2021

He gave us warning he isn’t going in till Monday so 50k Sunday night at 8pm 3,500 Monday afternoon, we got plenty of time

Dsloan likes this.
  17. 321Only Jan 8, 2021

A word of caution to everyone following this thread and getting in now.

We are in an exciting bull market with parabolic growth at the moment.
    Be aware that at some point it will peak and plummet down probably about -80%. Look at the chart history so you know exactly what to expect before spending any dollar on it.
    Be informed before jumping on it. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/ is a good place to start.

Bitcoin is exciting but one really needs the stomach for it.

wristpirate, Caliber561, mjb and 2 others like this.
  18. kaplan Jan 8, 2021

I just regret the 6 bitcoins I lost gambling when the price was $1k to $4k

If I just hoarded the bitcoins instead, life was good :)

Mark020 likes this.
  19. mjb Jan 8, 2021

Virus, no, hacking, yes. I recently bought and then sold some bitcoin, just a quick flip to make about 15%. Of course, had I held on to it for another few weeks, I'd be up 80% as of today.

The issue I have with "investing" in BC is that it's not real. It has no intrinsic value, which a currency backed and guaranteed by a real country usually does have, and it's not a physical item that I can stick in a safe deposit box. There are fewer and fewer incidences of exchanges getting hacked and people losing their money, but it can happen, it does happen, and it's a real risk. And as @321Only mentioned above, there's a real and likely chance of the value plummeting.

For me, it's one of those things, you only invest in it if you can easily afford to lose everything.

Also, if I were buying or selling a watch, and the other party insisted on only using BC for payment, I'd take that as a warning flag and would likely not go through with the transaction. It still, to me, has a little of the stink of impropriety, the dark web.

Rumar89 and spinnaker11 like this.
  20. redzer007 Jan 8, 2021

Alot of institutional money in this time round means this is less likely than before IMO. But we are all guessing