Forums Latest Members

Are All Redials Created Equal?

1. Mothra Nov 28, 2013

Ok, I have my flameproof armour on... but has anyone had an experience where they've preferred a redial to an original? I've currently got my eye on an IWC; case looks good, movement is clean - but I'm absolutely convinced it's redialled and no IWC ever looked like this does from the factory. The issue I'm having is, I think I actually prefer it to the standard dials. Does this ring any bells with anyone or am I on my own?

2. ulackfocus Nov 28, 2013

If it's just for a daily wearable watch there's no issue with a good redial. A lot of places must have the correct die for International Watch Co because I've seen some good redials for IWC. No problem with a factory correct refinish - I own a few JLC's that look fantastic which were redone in LeSentier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 28, 2013

I have watches with refinished dials, some done to my specification for my personal pleasure and some done to recreate an original where the dial was badly degraded.

felsby likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 28, 2013

No, you're not on your own. IMO, a high quality redial is preferable to a badly degraded original. In the case of a very valuable watch with a bad dial, it might be better to purchase a replacement dial to receive the redial and keep the original in the safe for later inclusion in the package if the watch is later sold.

The issue for many of us regards disclosure of facts when a watch is sold. Many dealers either don't know or don't care about identifying work done to the watch, even when blatantly obvious. This includes everyone from the Indian Frankenmeister on eBay to all of the major auction houses. Even those like Antiquorum who specialize in vintage watches and should know better.

Just my 2 cents worth,
    gatorcpa

rhetoric likes this.