Forums Latest Members
  1. 1st speedy Mar 4, 2020

Can the ar coating be reapplied? I have a few tiny scratches on the ar coating and want them gone lol. Barely visible but unknown they're there. Will omega reapply the coating if I ask for it?

2. Baz9614 Mar 4, 2020

I believe they have to replace the crystal.

3. Impgreene Mar 4, 2020

I asked in a OB about this for my PO, as I'd worn it to the beach and thought I had scratched the crystal - on inspection they said it was just that some of the AR had been scratched off and that the crystal needed to be replaced if I wanted to sort it out.

There may be an unofficial application of AR coating someone will do, but Omega's official line is that the whole crystal needs replacing (they quoted me £500, so I decided to put up with a few scratches instead!).

DaveK likes this.
  4. 1st speedy Mar 4, 2020

If that's the case, I'd rather buff it off with a cape cod cloth.

5. Motik Mar 4, 2020

AR is not applied like paint, it's a number of very thin and precisely calibrated layers deposited on the naked glass or sapphire in a vacuum. You cannot just re-apply it when part of it is missing, or you would end up with the wrong thickness everywhere else.

So yes, you need a new crystal.

1st speedy likes this.
  6. 1st speedy Mar 4, 2020

Thanks for clarifying .

7. gbesq Mar 4, 2020

If the scratches bother you that much, just remove the AR coating with Polywatch. Or get a hesalite Speedy.;)

8. 1st speedy Mar 4, 2020

Hesalite speedy....been there done that.
    Ar scratches are very minimal....will leave as is for now. Cape cod cloth should be able to remove it right?

9. Braindrain Mar 4, 2020

Yes, it can be reapplied. Dont know if Omega will do it. Might be cheaper with a new crystal as I'm quite sure they dont do it in-house.

It's just like glasses. It can be added on. But the original coating needs to be completely stripped off. And any imperfections on the surface may cause problems.

10. 1st speedy Mar 4, 2020

I wish they just applied it from the inside only.

11. Motik Mar 5, 2020

They could apply it from the inside only, but then you would only get half the effect. A little less than half actually.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 5, 2020

Crystals have gone up a couple of hundred $$s in the last few years ::book::

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2020

Have you had this done personally? If so, where?

Cheers, Al

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2020

If you don't like it on the outside, it's easily removed.

15. Braindrain Mar 5, 2020

While working P/T as an optician in my Uni days. We did it all the time to lenses. Sent all sorts of lenses in, always with the caveat that there's no warranty with used lenses or recoat lenses with scratched AR coatings.

Theoretically, one could give those shops a watch crystal and have them go at it.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2020

Thanks - I see this suggested all the time on watch forums, but have yet to find anyone who has actually done it.

My sister is an optician - she says they would never take in a watch crystal for this...so not so sure it's as easy as people make it out to be.

17. Braindrain Mar 5, 2020

I've never needed to do it but still have contacts in the industry who will do it for me, if I want. The machinery to hold the lens in place can just as easily hold a crystal.

Dont know it that's just your sister's store policy or the coating factory's policy. As long as I said I wont hold them responsible if it breaks, pretty sure they'll do it. Lenses break all the time.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 5, 2020

You should start a service...

Braindrain likes this.
  19. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Mar 5, 2020

Are they making lenses out of sapphire these days? Seems like AR made for polycarbonate lenses would not necessarily adhere properly to a contemporary watch crystal.

20. Dan S Mar 5, 2020

I'm not sure that an AR coating for a polycarbonate substrate would be ideal for a sapphire substrate. Sapphire has an extremely high refractive index.