Forums Latest Members

AR coating on front for Seamaster NTTD...possible?

1. mans7755 Nov 7, 2021

hi,

I know (and see) that there's only one coat of AR on the back of the Sapphire for the Seamaster NTTD. I also know it's a deliberate choice to be consistent with its "vintage" look...
    That said, I would still prefer an AR coating on both sides. Is this something Omega would do for me if I asked? or that's a no no for them?

2. OMG04 Nov 7, 2021

It's coated in manufacture so not done to an assembled watch of course is it not? So I don't think for a minute Omega would have the watch back to the manufacturing facility to do this for you, plus probably no chance they would take on a one off of coating both sides of just one crystal which would be out of their normal process for this particular style of crystal. But if so and sent to your AD it could then be retro fitted, should they agree to help.
    Additionally if the diameter and width at the fitting/contact point of the glass was known and that of a normal double coat type Seamaster and found to match again your AD might be able to supply a new one and swap them. You'd no longer have the domed glass feature of the NTTD however, if I'm correct that it's unique to these?
    I'm new to Omega so just theorising from a production aspect rather than enough knowledge of the specifications.

3. eldiano84 Nov 7, 2021

Well, considering how they won’t sell me crystals without AR coating, they won’t add it to yours all things considered.

Plus is Omega, anytime they open the watch outside the warranty claim they will charge you a “water” testing fee for any internal work(switch crystals for example) for something like that.

4. abrod520 Nov 7, 2021

This was the reason I got rid of mine within just a week of receiving it. The lack of proper AR coating plus the matte dial means it's very, very difficult to see anything but your own reflection when checking the time or trying to enjoy this $9,000 watch. The standard model is far more enjoyable in my opinion - though I am not normally attracted to shiny watches, the way the ceramic wave dial plays with the light is just wonderful. I wouldn't have actually gone for it if it weren't for the NTTD though so I guess there's that?

Caesar95 likes this.
  5. mans7755 Nov 7, 2021

thanks for all your replies...i guess it's a no no probably then :/

6. gbesq Nov 7, 2021

On the other hand, you won’t ever have a problem with accumulating scratches on the exterior AR coating which seems to be a pretty common problem with the current version of the Seamaster Professional Diver.

eldiano84 likes this.
  7. eldiano84 Nov 7, 2021

Exactly, I personally hate it, after a while you can start to see the scratches, since i live in a humid city the crystal will feel sticky, it got to the point I used a dremmel to take it off and it looks better than it does with the AR. You can’t really tell

8. mans7755 Nov 7, 2021

interesting, i didn't know this could happen. Sorry for the n00b question but does this happen with every watch with an exterior AR? do Rolex watches have the same issue? thanks!

9. eldiano84 Nov 8, 2021

Yes.

So in theory the sapphire crystal is highly resistant to scratches, the anti reflective compound that is used for the coating is not. Wearing your watch like it’s meant to be over the use of the time will sometimes leave “scuffs” that can be easily wiped out with your fingers or cloths but when you ding it with metal surfaces after a while you scratches become permanent.

You can’t repair AR coating, the only way is to replace it altogether.
    The next three pictures are scuffs i couldn’t wipe or remove no matter how much elbow grease I used to clean them off: EF2D016B-4BDC-4009-8612-92782FFD9D9C.jpeg
    897A712C-E0C5-4B53-8812-968DA07D8CF4.jpeg

The Rest of the crystal was just full of minor scratches but after a while they got annoying to be honest.
    Under the sunlight it looks like this
    76523B8B-926E-45FD-A9B4-5E741827B337.jpeg

So here’s two side by side, one of them still has an AR coating, the other does not. What helps is the fact that the interior AR does it job that I can’t tell the difference to be honest and I honestly prefer it without the exterior AR 6E5CD2AF-9A00-41A1-AC21-C9D8C0C4BBC8.jpeg

That’s just my personal experience on it. Omega wanted to charge me close to 400usd to replace the crystal for the scratches.

Edited Nov 8, 2021
    scapa and Caesar95 like this.
  10. mans7755 Nov 8, 2021

awesome reply, thank you so much guys :)

eldiano84 likes this.
  11. Butik Jan 21, 2022

I made this closeup video of the white and nttd to compare glass reflections and overall legibility. Hope this will help those who don't know if they can live with or without outside AR.

scapa likes this.
  12. scapa Jan 21, 2022

Very interesting. I've had a few watches whose poor AR or plain lack of it made them eventual no-gos in my collection. Also had the scratched AR on the SMP issue, which I've had with other brands also. Whatever Longines and Sinn use seems to be very durable, and I've owned other Omegas that did not exhibit this issue.

13. PATRICK JP Mar 16, 2022

You may try to get and retrofit a standard Seamaster 300 sapphire crystal after ensuring compatibility…

I have some IWC Doppelchronograph watches with anti-reflective coating on both sides. These coatings are fragile but I usually don’t ding my watches much hence had no scratches. My JLC Memovox Tribute to Polaris 1968 is equipped with an un-coated doomed plexiglass exactly like in period and probably similarly to the Speedmaster “hesalite”. None of my watches crystals are an issue for me. I have great pleasure wearing any of these. Soon I should add the Seamaster 007 to my collection and I don’t foresee any issues with the crystal either… So I would not do it.

14. abrod520 Mar 16, 2022

Funny, I've got the same watches - an IWC 3713 (second-ex Doppelchronograph with the flat sapphire) and the Polaris Tribute. In fact I'm wearing the latter right now! What I find, though, is that while domed plexi is reflective, it's not really all that bad - it's a fuzzier image, that ends up looking like it's in the background of the watch face.

The domed sapphire on the NTTD on the other hand, was a huge problem. The reflected images are perfectly mirrored, and block view of the dial / hands. I hated it.

15. PATRICK JP Mar 17, 2022

I wear the Tribute to Polaris 1968 and my 2006 ceramic Doppelchronograph most times. The later is the one I wear when I work on oil & gas installations, it’s my tool watch as it does not scratch _ aside of the crystal of course _ which is cool.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2022

People complain if you put it on, and people complain if you don't put it on...brands can't win...

17. PATRICK JP Mar 18, 2022

I agree, people complain about everything and anything. That’s sad… Some watches have anti-reflective coating on both sides, inside or none at all. I think it is all ok… watches can be different.

18. mbp Mar 18, 2022

Is Omega's AR coating getting any better?