Forums Latest Members
  1. MustWatch Jul 29, 2020

Hi all: If I bought the current Aquaracer Calibre 5, 41mm, would I be the laughingstock of this forum?

I like the size, especially lug-to-lug (47mm), and I like that it has a magnifier. I don't mind an ETA or Sellita movement.

What do you all think? Is Tag considered, like, a glorified fashion brand now? Would the bouncer eject me at a RedBar event if I showed up rocking an Aquaracer?

I don't mean to make fun of the Aquaracer--I think it's a cool watch at a good price! It just doesn't seem to have an avid fanbase, like many Seiko divers, for instance.

Please let me know what you think. Stay well, everyone!

Edited Jul 29, 2020
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 29, 2020

Will you really skip something you like (assuming you can also afford) just because of some guys from an Internet Forum dislike it? ::facepalm2::

Pandemic is a perfect opportunity to start wearing what you like and assume your personal taste / choices - a limited public will see it anyway :D

Or are you looking to maximize the likes on your next IG wristshot? :)

3. redpcar Jul 29, 2020

FWIW, I like the Autavia :coffee:

Aquaracer styling is from the '90s to me. Not a big fan.

MustWatch likes this.
  4. Redwes25 Jul 29, 2020

Not a huge fan of Tag's current offerings but think some of the hate out there is not deserved. I personally would go for an Oris diver if looking for something in that price range but if you like the look I don't see the objection to it.

Wetworks and MustWatch like this.
  5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 29, 2020

You get an Aquaracer and I'll never speak to you again ;)

MustWatch likes this.
  6. Meme-Dweller Jul 29, 2020

Let's just say I'd rather hang with you at a bar than someone with a Squale that thinks it's the greatest watch ever.

janice&fred, OmegaP99 and MustWatch like this.
  7. rcs914 Jul 29, 2020

Personally I think the very best move that they have made lately is producing watches without the "TAG" on the dial. For some reason it's turned me off, but if you like it, I don't think anyone is going to make fun of you!

Now if only their Heritage re-releases would produce a Pepsi 2446C GMT....

MustWatch likes this.
  8. rcs914 Jul 29, 2020

Squale kind of went the way of Glycine didn't they? Glycine still manages to produce decent looking watches, despite being owned by Invicta, but some of the Squale releases have been a tad derivative. I mean I wouldn't kick either one of them out of bed for eating crackers but IDK that I'd spend my money on them either.

9. NGO1 Jul 29, 2020

This thang looks good.
    If you can dig one out for around $1k. It’s a buy

ALSO, if you don’t support their newly minted 21 year old CEO, who would?

AB3F302F-E8AD-4641-B138-8880AB87D456.png
    Edited Jul 29, 2020
  10. High Hope Jul 29, 2020

::facepalm2:: Oh man! I have a Squale, and it is the grea...well, maybe not.

Full confession, I lacked a diver and until I spring for an Omega 300 or Black Bay with date, it half-filled the small need. I didn't want a ubiquitous Seiko, and liked the Squale's Euro heritage, decent reviews, and root beer colors. It is, however, one of my notorious and rarely worn sub-$500 specials.;)

Duracuir1 likes this.
  11. Redwes25 Jul 29, 2020

Some of their reissues look nice. I really like this one, which comes with their newer in-house movement. - https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/time...calibre-heuer02-automatic/CBK221B.FC6479.html

MustWatch likes this.
  12. vitriol Jul 29, 2020

I've had 41mm Aquaracer with ceramic and it is a very decent watch, great clasp system so for sure you can adjust the lenght of the rubber for the size just correct for you. I wish more brands would have used same idea for the rubber straps.
    As a brand, TAG Heuer seems to be hated across the watch fora, I neither know the reasons nor care tbh.
    If bought at greymarket price - Aquaracer is the best bang for the buck in respect of modern dive watches.

janice&fred, MustWatch and NGO1 like this.
  13. MustWatch Jul 29, 2020

Thanks! After I posted this thread, I was worried that it might offend Aquaracer owners! I didn't mean to at all, and I did want to hear from satisfied customers like you. Thanks again!

Duracuir1 likes this.
  14. MustWatch Jul 29, 2020

15. abrod520 Jul 29, 2020

Ask around and anyone will tell you I'm particularly hard on TAG because they keep messing up.

The Aquaracer's fine, if you ask me it's an interesting Royal Oak-inspired design without being a full-on knockoff. I'd say looking for one used is your best bet though; brand new I think TAG is charging too much seeing as the Caliber 5 is a base-level Sellita movement, nothing special. Bought used though it's a better value and easily serviced by independents.

Buy away :thumbsup:

janice&fred and MustWatch like this.
  16. MustWatch Jul 29, 2020

Thanks, that's great advice, especially coming from someone with your avatar!

17. Martin_J_N Jul 29, 2020

Buy what you like, what suits your style and is within your budget, not what people on the internet say you should be wearing.

We all have different tastes so what I like doesn't necessarily mean that others have to follow and buy the same, be you and buy what you like.

Duracuir1 and YY77 like this.
  18. abrod520 Jul 29, 2020

Not even close. Microbrands at a fraction of the price are better value, and even the Mido Ocean Star line costs around retail what an Aquaracer would grey-market. Buy one used, and you can go really cheap - my titanium Ocean Star cost me around $500.

The Aquaracer's cool but you'll definitely pay a bit more for the design and the name; nothing wrong with that of course.

19. vitriol Jul 29, 2020

I was reffering to luxury watches, so Mido and microbrands are out, ymmv.

20. OmegaP99 Jul 29, 2020

Life is best lived when not giving a flying f**k about what others think of you. I'm a professional at it. Wear it proudly if you want it, it shows your uniqueness and that you don't follow the herd. Tags aren't for me, but I still recognize them as quality pieces and likewise recognize the wearer as a potential watch guy, so I'd strike up a convo. I wouldn't do that if you were wearing a bog-standard Rolex as I have learned that most Rolex wearers aren't watch people, but luxury goods people. (With exception to those who participate in forums clearly.)
    I prefer vintage German cars, but I would never think less of the guy enjoying some back roads in his cherished Miata, because I know they are great sports cars as well.

vitriol, MustWatch and YY77 like this.