Forums Latest Members
  1. HNS Aug 5, 2020

Hello Folks

I'm thinking of pulling a trigger on an Aqua Terra (8900) or a Seamaster 300 (8400).

I always shied away from coaxial movements and was thinking of getting a Speedy for that reason.

What's the difference between the 8400 and the 8800 movements?

All comments are welcome
    Cheers

2. Donn Chambers Aug 5, 2020

There are a few differences. The 8400 is not METAS certified (although it probably could be, it was just introduced before METAS). It also has no date function. Instead of a quickset date, though, it has a quickset hour hand so you can quickly change time zones or daylight savings without stopping the watch.

Really, those are such two different watches, you should be more concerned with the looks and functionality, bot the movements. They are both highly accurate, anti-magnetic co-axial movements.

HNS likes this.
  3. HNS Aug 5, 2020

Thanks Donn
    Both for me are more casual watches. That's why I grouped them together.

4. AntonisCy Aug 5, 2020

I would go with the AT and the 8900. The SM300 is due an update very soon either way.

Lbennett and HNS like this.
  5. tikkathree Aug 5, 2020

Can I assist? Casual as in clean shirt, socks and shoes? Aqua Terra. Casual as in maybe a bit of farming today, maybe hunt a deer, change the oil in the pickup truck or take the boat out? Seamaster.

steelfish, Elitr6, HNS and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tag7800 Aug 5, 2020

The Aqua Terra's look classy!

HNS likes this.
  7. dstfno Aug 6, 2020

The 8900 also has no quickset date but quickset hour hand instead.

To the OP, note that the 41mm Aqua Terra, even though being the same size on paper, wears larger than the Seamaster. Because of the lack of bezel and much larger dial. Personally I would choose the 38mm for this type of watch.

Commisar and HNS like this.
  8. Hxt1 Aug 6, 2020

I'm going to play devil's advocate here...

why not both?
    Muahahah!

Commisar likes this.
  9. Bernardino Aug 6, 2020

The AT can be dressed up or down especially if you change the straps between leather and steel, this is my smarter watch.

My SMP is my casual watch, even though Bond wore it with a tuxedo I see it as more of a tool watch

10. Donn Chambers Aug 6, 2020

thanks for the correction. I don’t own and 8900-powered watch, and I can’t keep track of which movements have the quickest hour vs date.

11. HNS Aug 6, 2020

Thanks Bernardino, I meant the Seamaster 300, not the SMP bond watch. ,

12. HNS Aug 6, 2020

I'm also thinking of a Speedy as well. But its the same bracelet as my Seamaster GMT.

13. Scooterino36 Aug 6, 2020

I've been having this internal debate myself. I own the Seamaster 300 but have been contemplating trading it for an Aqua Terra. At first I thought it was the size and bulk of the watch and bracelet that made the 300 too conspicuous for my tastes. But ive come to realize its the polished center links (which I believe the AT also has).

I actually ended up brushing the center links myself, and now I feel the 300 is a perfect casual watch. I feel that in some ways the AT is too much a compromise of different styles, while the Seamaster 300 is a full blown diver. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful!

OmeGez and HNS like this.
  14. Donn Chambers Aug 6, 2020

don’t know if you only prefer bracelets or not, but have you tried the 300 on a strap? I think it actually looks better on a strap than the bracelet and I wear mine on various straps (leather, cordura, sailcloth, NATO) 90% of the time.

gpstar, HNS and Scooterino36 like this.
  15. Scooterino36 Aug 6, 2020

I do have a tropic strap that I like to wear the 300 on, but I'm a bracelet guy most of the time.

16. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 6, 2020

I read (but may be wrong so please correct me if I am) on a German blog that the 8800 is thinner than the 8400...

Also the 8800 has 55h power reserve while the 8400 has 60h.

HNS likes this.
  17. imranbecks Aug 8, 2020

I have em both. But it's the 8500 AT and the 8400 SM300.

[​IMG]

steelfish, gpstar and HNS like this.
  18. Lbennett Aug 8, 2020

Would go with the current gen AT since it was just updated. Wish the 38mm had all the same color options as the 41.

Also - why concerned about coaxial movements?

HNS likes this.
  19. HNS Aug 9, 2020

Suspenders likes this.
  20. HNS Aug 9, 2020

I'm no expert, and I currently do not own a coaxial escapement watch, so to be fair I get all my info from secondary sources. All of my Omega's are pre coaxial movements. We've had Omega watches in the family for decades now. It was always our first to go brand until 2000.

First in the beginning - 20 years ago or less - I had many AD's wine about the too many versions of the movements (a.b.c.d, etc), and the speed with which they changed, and all the different spare parts that they had to carry to service omega watches. There must be a reason for that rapid change. In Rolex watches, the changes to movements are subtle and are updated when the watch is sent for servicing.

Second, I'm a globetrotter, currently in Switzerland, and it seems to me that not many watchmakers, authorized, or not have the capability of correctly servicing coaxial escapement watches especially in certain parts of the globe. Some expert opinions on this board attest to that.

Third, I just wonder why no other brand decided to use coaxial escapements after the patent ended. There must be a reason. The new Rolex 3235 movement with the chronergy escapement is sometimes cited as an answer to Omega's coaxial escapement despite being a single wheel escapement. I'd like to hear any educated opinions on that.

Fourth, some expert opinions on this board, seem to hint in the above direction.

I'm no expert, that's why I asked the question and I'm really appreciative of all the comments.

Cheers and Happy Sunday everyone

Lbennett likes this.