Forums Latest Members

Aqua Terra Skyfall Blue or Tag Heuer Carrera?

1. Aussie Jim Jan 4, 2016

There are three points to make here.

1. If you ask on an Omega site whether to buy an Omega or brand x, the pendulum will probably swing towards Omega. I know that there are plenty of very eclectic watch owners here and very few prejudices, but there is likely a certain bias
    2. That you asked on this site makes me think that you really know what you want
    3. Unless they are slaughtering prices at the AD why would you buy new? The price for almost everything drops by 30%. Get a used one and use your dollars wisely

2. Aussie Jim Jan 4, 2016

There are three points to make here.

1. If you ask on an Omega site whether to buy an Omega or brand x, the pendulum will probably swing towards Omega. I know that there are plenty of very eclectic watch owners here and very few prejudices, but there is likely a certain bias
    2. That you asked on this site makes me think that you really know what you want
    3. Unless they are slaughtering prices at the AD why would you buy new? The price for almost everything drops by 30%. Get a used one and use your dollars wisely

3. SirMaximilian Jan 4, 2016

I think your best bet would be looking for a used "Skyfall" Aqua Terra

4. ulackfocus Jan 4, 2016

Shazam! I also like the date window surround and would seek out a model with it. The dial just looks incomplete without it.

However, I really like TAG Twin Times. Had one years ago I would have never sold if I didn't own my Breitling.

5. trama Jan 4, 2016

The Omega AT is a perfect watch, IMHO. This is perhaps even more true for someone as clever as yourself. "You" being a one-watch person (an enviable position to be sure). Get it, post lots of pics, don't look back.

6. Watchdisplay Jan 4, 2016

I'm an omega fan all day, but the twin time looks better IMO.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 4, 2016

I like the TAG Heuer a lot but the AT8500 is very compelling watch, one of the best performance/quality for price options out there especially used.

I'll also add, I've never seen someone buy the better of two watches they were looking at and be disappointed with it or experience buyers remorse. But the people that buy the cheaper option always end up lusting over the one they really want which makes them enjoy what they have less.

This especially goes for people that buy Speedmaster Reduced or something because its cheaper than a Pro.

cfw likes this.
  8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 4, 2016

i find all 3 watches lacking (for the amount of $ involved). the O. looks like the datewindow/disk (black disk on blue dial?) was designed by the summer intern...

TagH-dress watch?... isnt that as far away from their brand positioning as a VW luxury limousine ? nahhhh!

have you thought outside the box? (nomos, used/grey jlc, grand seiko, rolex cellini, or getting 3 top notch vintage watches for the same dough)

Edited Jan 4, 2016
  9. ducatiti Jan 13, 2016

I was in the same situation as you months ago but I was also looking at the 1887 anthracite face as well. Liked the simplicity of the Caliber 5 as well. What really turned me off is that the manual for TH says that it is normal to have condensation inside the crystal. This is simply unacceptable for me considering the prices paid for these watches. There are a lot of encountering condensation problems in various forums. I also read issues about the 1887 having the dial misaligned, the newest version.

At the end of the day, I purchased this and never looked back. Looks good with any strap I throw at it too, as a bonus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Iceblade and cfw like this.
  10. taz101 Jan 15, 2016

Personally I think the build quality of Omega eclipses Tag

11. panamavin Jan 18, 2016

Omega AT all the way and then some. I sold mine for a financial crunch and have been searching for one the last several months. Trust me no disrespect to TH but I've owned one and handled the other and there is no comparison.