Forums Latest Members

Aqua Terra Skyfall Blue or Tag Heuer Carrera?

1. Iceblade Jan 3, 2016

I've been searching for a sporty dress watch and adore the Omega Aqua Terra Skyfall blue (Co-axial 41.5mm).
    Went to an Omega AD to try the current model (Master Co-axial) but not a big fan of the non-window date frame and $600 AUD price increase. Managed to get 18% off the RRP for the Master Co-axial - except reluctant to purchase as it is almost 2 months salary. Also found two 'similar' looking Tag Heuers (image below) which are around 1/3 of the price of the Omega.

Heart is leaning towards the Omega, but it is difficult to justify $3500 AUD difference between the two watches (eg. difference = new tv and camera). If I do purchase the Tag then may still end up purchasing a different Omega in 7-10 years time. I currently do not own any watches, so the purchased watch would be used for all purposes.

Your thoughts? Which watch do you prefer?

Omega Aqua Terra
    [​IMG]

Tag Heuer Calibre 5
    [​IMG]

Tag Heuer Calibre 7
    [​IMG]

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 3, 2016

My slightly older 38mm AT has a date window. Maybe you could hunt around for a slightly older 41.5?
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. jud Jan 3, 2016

The twin time got me started in this hobby so it has a special place for me, if you can swing the Omega, I believe it is a better watch. The ATL boutique said they still had one with a framed date, ask if they can find one.

PatrickJ likes this.
  4. legends71 Jan 3, 2016

My experience with tag heuer service is very very bad needed to return the watch 4 times and they scratched the watch doing the repairs so I seld the watch and will never ever buy a tag heuer anymore.
    So omega all the way. :thumbsup:

Turpinr and PatrickJ like this.
  5. Andreas Jan 3, 2016

Definitely the AT. its way more classic/classy than the tag.
    The other thing you have to have in mind is the way the two brands are heading. Omega with there prices going up the last years/ quality / strongest marketing etc its trying to play in a bigger league. Tag on the other hand is doing the exact opposite from what i understand. They are trying to achieve more sales by playing in a lower league.
    So other than the looks (which imo the AT is a winner here) consider this as well

6. Ramses Jan 3, 2016

For me, without a doubt the AT!

7. lillatroll Jan 3, 2016

If you want the omega but don't want to spend on a new watch why not buy a newer used model. If you really want a brand new watch then spend the extra on the AT. I think it will give you more satisfaction in the long run.

PatrickJ and blufinz52 like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 3, 2016

Might upset the crowd but with all you have given us Twin Time. Resale for TAG in Australia is pretty good, service ain't too bad by TAG and finally for everyday use you will not worry about the TAG as much if bumped or scratched.

The Omega is a way better watch and worth the extra, mostly going on your post.

PatrickJ likes this.
  9. Kim Jan 3, 2016

In terms of looks, the TAGs are nice. I don't know for the technical side of the TAG. But if you're into Omega, get an Omega! You'll probably never stop until you have one.

+1 one the idea of buying a used one. VAT will be already off, which is already a good amount of money. In the watch sales section there are a couple of nice watches every now and then. Just be patient until sth pops up that floats your boat (with date window f.ex.).
    Or you just save your money a little longer to buy what you're really into, new.
    I waited almost 5 years to lay my hands on one.
    Oh, imho, justyfying money for a hobby seldom works :whistling:, so get around this (be sure although that you're fine with other things financial first).

Best regards.

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. Ericoh Jan 3, 2016

No actual experience with any of them. But the Seamaster is a clear winner to me.

11. PatrickJ Jan 3, 2016

Omega over Tag for me.

12. PatrickJ Jan 3, 2016

There is a world of difference between Omega and Tag in the formers favour. Although there is nothing wrong with TH and it is a respected brand they have a great reputation etc... In my opinion I would rather have a simple Seiko 5 over a TH. In fact calibre 1887 that is different to calibre 7 has an Seiko ebaunche. Although it is a good one ebaunch, to mix a swiss watch and a japaneese watch together not a good idea. Tag H also tried to lie and make us believe it was there own. However, the original Heuer pre 1985 are a different world and I would love to own one of them. I believe Seiko make some amazing watches from the 5 to the GS, I have Seiko myself. However, I believe Swiss watchmaking should be separate from Japan. Although some minor parts may wonder across from other countries into Swiss watches for the love of God not the whole ebaunche, no matter how much they do to fine tune it with their parts the foundations are wrong.. I am not trying to offend anyone who owns a TH (Heuer is different) but the fact the TH CEO kept us all in the dark and then tried to smooth it over is beyond belief.

Edited Jan 3, 2016
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 3, 2016

Prefer and own the skyfall. Suspect on an Omega message board this would be typical. If you plan to hang here probably best to go with Omega. Welcome to the message board.

4 years ago I did not own a watch. I found this message board when I was looking for a "real" watch. I now own way too many Omega watches. This is a pretty common path for those of us that post here. Good luck.

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 3, 2016

AT because....well, because its perfect.

PatrickJ likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2016

From what you explained I think you really need to decide based on what you can afford at this time. One watch is not an end all decision. Providence willing, there will be other times and other watches ahead. Rest assured, no one here has ever stopped at one watch anyway.

16. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jan 3, 2016

I tried that once. I wasn't very good at it :)

PatrickJ likes this.
  17. alam Jan 3, 2016

Don't know anything about the reputation of the Calibre 7, but that one is a nice looking GMT!

STANDY and PatrickJ like this.
  18. OmegaSean Jan 3, 2016

Before I bought my Omega I tried the TAG's Calibre 5 and a Rolex Sub. Price had nothing to do with which watch I bought I was in a position to buy any of the three. The TAG isn't in the Omega / Rolex league if you try them on in the same shop you will see what I mean, the quality, precision and class are completely different. The Omega and Rolex were equally matched (price) and I opted for the Omega as it just felt better and isn't as prolific as a sub as the sub.
    Wait a few months for go for a second hand one plenty on here regularly, a white dial one is up for sale a few threads below for a decent price.
    OmegaSean

PatrickJ likes this.
  19. cfw Jan 3, 2016

If u want the Omega more save up and get it, settling for another watch will almost always back fire, in the end u aren't going to be happy with the TAG cause u will always know u settled, plus TAG has very poor resale value. My advice if u feel the AT is a bit steep is to buy say a blue dialed Seiko and in a year or two u might get a good deal on a second hand one, plus at that stage u would have saved enough to probably get a new one

PatrickJ likes this.
  20. jimbow Jan 4, 2016

I have a 38.5mm Omega AT and 39mm Tag Heuer Carrera Heritage calibre 6 (very similar watch to the TH you are looking at). Both are great watches but in my opinion, the Omega is something else.

The Omega wears smaller and more classy than the Tag - although there is only 0.5mm difference on paper the larger bezel and crown guard on the Omega combined with a clever dial design makes it wear much smaller and more classy. It also has a screw down crown if that is important to you for WR. The co-axial (or master co-axial on new model) movement is great and should supposedly require less frequent servicing. The new master co-axial movement has the added bonus of resisting magnetism.

The Omega AT somehow feels both more dressy and more robust and sporty at the same time.

PatrickJ likes this.