Applying new lumen on vintage Omega

Posts
7
Likes
2
Hi!

I've recently purchased an old Omega Seamaster 'Recife'.

The minute hand have lost some of its lumen, and I was wondering if it was possible to re-apply new lumen, while still keeping the correct "vintage" color like on the hour hand and indexes?

See attached picture of exact watch.

Also, if you think that applying new lumen is blasphemy - please, by all means, tell me!

Best,
Kristian

 
Posts
2,616
Likes
2,791
There is definitely an 'art' to the color matching. It is possible, but not easy. I've got a kit to do so, but find the 'lume' grains to be too big so it is not nearly as 'clean' of a lume as the factory stuff (it is obviously grainy?). And I bought one of the nicer 'kits'.

Bergeon has a kit for ~$100, but it doesn't have the dyes? But getting a 'right' color match is quite a bit trial/error, so expect to go through quite a lot if it 😁 I'd also suggest doing both of the hands at once, as the hands being different is OBVIOUS, and some level of hand vs dial difference is less noticable.
 
Posts
18,731
Likes
38,881
Also, if you think that applying new lumen is blasphemy - please, by all means, tell me!
If you sent the watch to Omega for a restoration they would replace the hands, so re-luming your originals isn't blasphemy.

You can do it yourself if capable. Just use quality fine grain lume powder and colourants. Use an old set of hands to test colour as you mix each batch and note your quantities.

As mention by @TomGW, a professional option is also available.
 
Posts
193
Likes
175
I always had and used the Bergeon lume in green to restore watch hands. When restoring some older watches, I didn't find it very fitting, so I bought a rather cheap set of fluorescent powders on eBay for around €15. Since then, I've been mixing them with the Bergeon binder that came with the original set.

After some experimenting, I got really good results (by mixing mango with sky and a bit of lemon 🤣) to achieve that aged, yellowish vintage lume look. They glow pretty well too.

So there are definitely some cheap alternatives out there.
 
Posts
122
Likes
388
Perhaps consider doing both hands, not just the one that needs it. That way you don't end up with two hands with (slightly) different colours or one hand that glows in the dark and one that doesn't.
 
Posts
7
Likes
2
Thank you guys for taking the time to answer this question. I appreciate the well explained opportunities to restore the minute hand. As some of you pointed out - it would probably be a good idea to paint both to avoid color difference.
 
Posts
3,285
Likes
9,880
Good lume is important, atleast to me. That Recife is really something special, love the case shape and the integrated bracelet. Can you give us the measurments please? Case diameter and thickness.