Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/App...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Quite an interesting exploration of its guts, the part that concerns me is the sheer number of small fragile gaskets that give it water resistance in a watch that isn't going to see regular seal changes like a Swiss mechanical might.

Looks like a crystal seal, caseback seal, digital crown seal, button seal, diagnostic port seal, speaker seal and mic seal with most of them being square-ish or odd-shaped rather than round and many are adhesive like the crystal seal which also holds the crystal onto the watch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ikeo1 likes this.
  2. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Apr 24, 2015

Mmm, profitable obsolescence

Spacefruit, Archer and Privateday7 like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2015

"Some of the tiniest screws we've ever seen!"

LOL!!! Those are huge in watch terms...

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 24, 2015

Ash,
    two things I would like to know from you before I consider to buy Applewatch, or any smartwatch:
    1. One month after wearing Applewatch, will you still using it regularly?, and if so, is it at the expense of not wearing the mechanical watch?
    2. Will you buy Applewatch 2 next year?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

1) I think so, it replaces my Luminox as my quartz work-out / walking / errands / daggy wear watch and I really have no love for the Luminox, I bought it as a cheap quartz that was destroyable, I thought being tritium tube rather than luminova would make it "interesting" enough for me to like it, turns out I was wrong, its just crummier lume than luminova.

2) Probably not, as there's a lot to indicate I wouldn't be missing much by sticking to the old one. Its not as though when the new one comes out the old one suddenly ceases to function, as long as bluetooth exists, Apple can support watches indefinitely.

Given BT is already 21 years old and has no obvious replacement and universal support its likely not going anywhere, Apple's clearly gearing up for long term parts availability and support including pricing for both a battery service and re-seal ~$79 and a full overhaul $229 for Apple Watch Sport / $329 for Apple Watch in Steel.

6. ikeo1 Apr 24, 2015

Nice.. A disposeable watch! :)

7. ikeo1 Apr 24, 2015

There is no way Apple supports long term parts availability. But I do like the fact that the battery and the screen is replaceable.

8. ulackfocus Apr 24, 2015

The part that concerns me is the battery. ::stirthepot::

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 24, 2015

No worries, you can get the 2016 kinetic quartz model.:)

10. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 24, 2015

[​IMG]

timeismoney and ulackfocus like this.