Forums Latest Members

Apple Macbook Self Repair/Upgrade

1. sdre Feb 24, 2020

So recently, I purchased an early 2013 MBP (Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" Early 2013 2.7GHz 16GB RAM 256SSD Nvidia GT 650M) and a ( Apple MacBook Pro Mid 2012 A1286 15" Laptop 160GB HDD 2.6GHz Core i7 8GB)for my wife and I to use.

I bought 2 x SSDs from amazon, 256/500gb as well as a cover/connector for backing up whatever my wife has done on her MBP/Apps. Looking to purchase another 2 x 8GB DDR3 Ram for my wife to upgrade her specs.

Now, after watching countless videos on youtube about upgrading the SSD and RAM, I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be aware of?

Initially, I wanted to bring the laptop and parts to a store to install and upgrade for me but they are charging me close to 250USD for just 1 laptop upgrade. Thinking I might as well do it myself.

Any tips/steps i should be aware of before i go ahead? (how does MAC OS install on the laptops if there's not drivers/CDs??)

Thanks!

2. gefmey Feb 24, 2020

Sounds like you may be new to Mac. Mac OS downloads from the web. Do you know what's on them now? Latest version is Catalina. Not sure if the mid 2012 can take it. Also be aware that Catalina only supports 64 bit apps. Once installed Catalina (10.15.x) is not backwards compatible. You might be better off with the OS prior 10.14.x

Larry S, sdre and connieseamaster like this.
  3. sdre Feb 24, 2020

Ah yeah, im a windows user for all my life, decided to take a jump onto Mac.

Oh cool,so i will check out the prior OS systems and not catalina.

Thanks!

4. gefmey Feb 24, 2020

If you open the menu under the apple symbol and go to "about this mac", it will tell you the current OS in the machine.

5. Dan S Feb 24, 2020

I am still using my late 2013 MacBook Pro 13" running Sierra (10.12), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 w/ 8 GB RAM. I keep getting the urge to buy something new, but realistically I don't see why I need it. The storage upgrade is a good idea, but I think you may be wasting your energy with the RAM upgrade unless you are doing video editing or something really demanding. I don't do video, but I do image editing frequently, and have occasionally run scientific software (Mathematica and MatLab) to crunch largish data-sets and run simulations on this laptop when traveling, and I was pleasantly surprised how well it did. As long as I keep it free of malware, the fan never runs.

Larry S and sdre like this.
  6. makaria indica Feb 24, 2020

The installing xtra RAM and a SSD on the MBP is relatively straight forward, I have done both on my wifes 2012 model as well as a new battery. The SSD upgrade speed things up nicely.
    I followed these video's as I used a OWC SSD
    https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro-13-unibody-mid12/

The screen on my same model died, and I went with 2019 MB air, it is significantly faster than the older mbp despite the CPU being 1.7Hz as opposed to 2.4 Hz, something about turbo boost?

sdre likes this.
  7. WYO_Watch Feb 24, 2020

My understanding is that 2013 and newer models are a bit harder (impossible) to upgrade the ram as it’s all built into the board. I’ve upgraded several 2012s to more ram. It’s cheap and easy :thumbsup:

*** yeah definitely impossible on a 2013. The ram is soldered to the motherboard

Edited Feb 24, 2020
    sdre and Dan S like this.
  8. rob#1 Feb 25, 2020

Yep, the RAM is soldered on. Previously it was basically a USB drive that could be easily accessed and copied / reused. My wife’s MacBook died (like, totally dead with no chance of resuscitation as the motherboard gave up) and they were able to remove the drive and copy all the data to a new model. With the new models this is not an option, just make sure it’s backed up regularly or all your stuff is gone.

9. sdre Feb 25, 2020

Cheers for all responses guys. appreciate it.

my 2013, has 16gb of ram so yeah i wont be upgrading that. just gonna work on the wife's 2012 model.

10. vbrad26 Feb 25, 2020

You should be fine with the 16GB RAM.
    I'm still occasionally using my late 2011 15" MacBook Pro and it is hanging in there despite not being able to upgrade to the newest iOS.
    It came with a standard HD and 4GB RAM originally and in 2013 I upgraded it myself to an SSD and 16GB.
    The SSD came with a cable that basically allowed me to transfer my existing HD on to the SSD before I installed it so all I had to do was pop in the SSD and its like it was before the swap.
    As others have said, it is pretty straight forward on the older machines.

Larry S likes this.
  11. prestiase Apr 26, 2022

Just recently tried this on a 2009 MacBook Pro. It almost works. If you only replace one RAM slot, it works fine, as your system will run at the speed of the slowest memory module.

12. tudor66 Apr 26, 2022

To the OP, how did your upgrades go?

88078772-4B5A-4324-A3C1-045C186F1046.jpeg 13108CF2-DC4A-4B6B-86CF-A3CA25510A8B.jpeg When the mandated work from home started I bought two 2012 MacBook pros and one retina model, all with broken screens on Craigslist. I upgraded the older models with SSD's and new ram. The retina is my daily personal use machine, running Big Sur, the older models have Catalina and work great with the updated hardware.

13. makaria indica Apr 26, 2022

I passed on my 2012 MBP after upgrades to my not so tech savvy mum...... With strict instructions to never do any internet banking on it, some websites wont load in safari due to it no longer being supported ( upgrades) by Apple, essentially its now a back up hard drive for her iphone photos and email an portal.
    As an aside it was fascinating case study in human behaviour watching her become enmeshed in her new iphone..... I thought younger generations had screen time issues.