Apple announces self-service repair. Implications for the watch industry?

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/11/apple-announces-self-service-repair/

So, this was unexpected... the "right of repair" lobby seem to be very happy with the news, and given Apple is the biggest company in the world, I betcha there'll be a few others thinking they'll have to follow suit.

I know there's been frustration over the years with Omega (and others) restricting access to parts, with comments I've read on Otto Frei's website being a good example. Can we perhaps hope there might be an appetite for change? Or is the current situation a good thing, with quality control ensured better than a free-for-all situation?

(By the way, this is my 200th post. Thanks to all in the community, and the moderators, for all the education and entertainment so far!)

It's only for iPhone 12/ 13s, at least initially. Leaves a LOT of devices in question. It's like when we tell our son he has to do 20 minutes each of reading, writing, math, etc. after school, and he does 5 minutes of reading and says it is good enough.

Apple are not stupid.
They figure they can sell spare parts to Joe Public.
99% of Joe Public have no idea of how to deal with the intricate guts of an iPhone.
Joe Public stuffs it up.
Joe Public takes his brick to Apple.
Apple give him a quote to fix, or upgrade to another phone.
Joe is out for the cost of the parts he bought and the replacement option.
Apple is happy.

I don't think it's a move with major ill intentions, indirectly they win, users take responsibility if they decide to work on their devices themselves - by directly selling to users they also eliminate counterfeit part installing repairmen, make more money, and sell more devices as seemingly you can now repair the devices, practically I don't know what'll change since the costs will be high

I really wish we could buy Omega parts, I'd probably spend $500/mo on parts 😁 Crowns, gaskets, crystals for all the watches! New hands to those in need!

But I've never seen "watches" included in "right to repair" - it's pretty much just electronics scope-wise, as far as my very shallow research goes

Apple are not stupid.
They figure they can sell spare parts to Joe Public.
99% of Joe Public have no idea of how to deal with the intricate guts of an iPhone.
Joe Public stuffs it up.
Joe Public takes his brick to Apple.
Apple give him a quote to fix, or upgrade to another phone.
Joe is out for the cost of the parts he bought and the replacement option.
Apple is happy.
I don't use Apple products (wife does) but I do own Apple stock, so as long as Apple can get people to buy more stuff in the white Apple box I am happy. Love to see the Apple stores packed with Apple drones. Keep buying, please!

I don't use Apple products (wife does) but I do own Apple stock, so as long as Apple can get people to buy more stuff in the white Apple box I am happy. Love to see the Apple stores packed with Apple drones. Keep buying, please!
Haha, but if they activate Order 66, you're dead too 😁

Seriously guys, even if Omega launches "Self-service Repair Programme" and will make parts available for everyone - how many of us could service a modern Omega calibre without breaking it?

Seriously guys, even if Omega launches "Self-service Repair Programme" and will make parts available for everyone - how many of us could service a modern Omega calibre without breaking it?
We don’t even have the water testing machines in the first place hahaha

I can see the conversation now.

USITA: Per our new DIY law, you have to make parts available for all models you sell for a minimum of twenty years after the last year of production for a given model.

Swiss Watch Industry: And if we don't?

USITA: We will revoke your import license and you will no longer be able to sell your products in the states, or to US residents overseas, as we will confiscate them at the border.

Swiss Watch Industry: So?

PRC: Send them over, we've got plenty of customers. And for every customer, we have a hundred customers who will buy one as a means of laundering money. The artificial scarcity that the US creates will only enhance the flow of illicit capitol. Win, win, win.

This is coming from a guy with a stack of dead iPods I collected from workmates for battery replacement. Oh, and the batteries came from Guangdong. Full circle.

Does this mean I'll be able to add memory to my Macbook?

Does this mean I'll be able to add memory to my Macbook?

Get an old Mac Mini ..... ;0)

Get an old Mac Mini ..... ;0)
Just had my ‘12 iMac refreshed by Microcenter, new 1T SSD, already maxed the ram to 32g, the thing is lightening fast now- $300
I also brought them a ‘15 iMac a friend game me and they said they couldn’t update it with aftermarket parts becuase it was still within apple’s 8 year service umbrella- would be $1.2k for the same upgrade using Apple’s mandated pricing scale.