2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Watch is a Speedmaster

ulackfocus likes this.
  3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jan 19, 2014

what else would it be?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2014

Maybe a NASA velcro that's had a very very hard life

5. toddmp Jan 21, 2014

My curiosity stems from it being included in a headset display. I had just never seen it matched with a headset or with that odd strap. Does not look to be a standard apollo era strap.

6. Kizzi Jan 22, 2014

The strap appears to be the normal long version Velcro watchband with what looks like something similar to a pair of gold name pins, but I can't make anything out. The watch and strap wouldn't be part of the headset assembly, that's well documented on the internet.

It certainly looks odd, all things taken together. For the strap, the green is the olive drab color that one would expect to see as reinforcement for the steel ring and Velcro hook end. It's not immediately obvious, but the strap is passed though both spring bars, then slackly double backed from the steel ring. As the watch is half resting on the steel ring, it gives an appearance of stiffness to the Velcro.

7. TLIGuy Jan 23, 2014

This thread really peak my interest. I also found it curious why the Speedmaster was included in the display and the accompanying information next to it appears to make no reference to it. The strap was also very interesting. So I set out to find out more about it. Here is the official answer I received from the National Air and Space museum curator that handles Astronaut personal equipment.

The chronograph in the photo is not a flown one. The display is at the Science Museum, London, and I believe I might have taken a better photo of it myself a few years ago. This photo was from a colleague who visited there in 2002. My photo from 2009 is probably on a different hard drive than where I’m located now, but I’ll try to find it next week and get it to you.

I know for certain that we do not have a chronograph on loan to them, so this is not one of ours. It’s possible they either had one, not flown, in their own collection, or are borrowing this from somebody else.

If I do receive the additional image, with approval, I'll post it here so maybe we can solve the strap mystery.

toddmp likes this.
  8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 23, 2014

I've seen that display at the Science Museum. Might have to take the kids back there soon to get a better picture ;)

9. toddmp Jan 23, 2014

thanks everyone. Glad I wasn't the only one who was scratching his head.

10. Kizzi Jan 24, 2014

I've tried to focus the image, it looks a lot like a pair of "Ω OMEGA" name pins stuck on the NASA watch strap.

OMEGA NASA strap.jpg

And here's my mock-up

2014-01-24 16.53.10.jpg

11. SpaceCowboy Jan 25, 2014

Interesting. If they knew their watches, they would use a 105.012-65 in that display, the same reference Armstrong used.