Forums Latest Members
  1. McBeardy Jan 14, 2020

Was shopping over the weekend, well missus and little one went off and thought I'd waste 10mins looking over the Omega AD in Bluewater.

Pretty certain I'll be picking up a Moonwatch (hopefully this year or next) but thought I'd have a quick look at the white dial SMP.

Young sales assistant was great, even when I mentioned I'm not buying and only have 10mins to spare. I must say the white face IMHO is the best variant of the new model, not being a huge fan of the new waves, they seem almost non existent on this model.

Also tried on the Apollo 8 DSOTM, which I was mighty impressed with. Was thinking that could be the Moonwatch I'm after, sales assistant was adamant it was 42mm (deal break for me as I have a 44mm Pam, which I find too big after a few days) modern looking, impressive materials used, truly WIS type watch. Price was big, but he did mention the new Moonwatch (due to be announced) could be coming in only 1-2k cheaper.

Quick look online at home confirmed it was 44mm. It did wear lovely, but guess I'll wait to see what the new Moonwatch will be before deciding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Martin_J_N and Hduck like this.
  2. Pilot85 Jan 14, 2020

If budget would be an issue then a current 1861 .005 new you can get it with a fantastic discount!! PM maybe I can help!!

Texans93 likes this.
  3. lustrousaurus Jan 14, 2020

I like both of them! I did get the Apollo 8 last year and while I do agree 44mm is large, the 1869 movement lets it sit lower so it feels smaller to me. I am considering the white Seamaster down the road just because I dig the white dial and it would be a nice pairing with my Alaska Project.

4. RARJ Feb 11, 2020

The intricate details on the dial and back of the movement make the A8 such an awesome piece. I wasn't sure how I felt about the yellow at first but after seeing it in person I must admit I was quite smitten.

The new "great white" doesn't do it for me. I really wish they didn't use a black bezel on it.

5. stevec14 Feb 11, 2020

There is a nice lightly used Apollo 8 in the for sale section at a nice discount :thumbsup:

6. Martin_J_N Feb 11, 2020

The Great White was going to be a big purchase for me but when seen in the flesh at Bluewater it didn't make me smile so was not purchased, the A8 is lovely but I struggle to pick up the hands against the dial, it is a watch I really wanted but when tried I just couldn't live with the problem of seeing the hands against the dial, so idea parked. For now I will stick with my 2010 Seamaster and 2019 Moonwatch.

7. Evitzee Feb 11, 2020

I've learned never let the raw dimension sway you, all watches wear different depending on thickness, bezel width, dial color and other aspects. You just have to try them on. I've worn watches from 33mm to 50mm....it just depends on how they are made as to whether they fit or not.

8. scapa Feb 11, 2020

I love the A8, but the new white-dialled SMP doesn't do it for me. One of the great pleasures of the watch for me is the ability of the case and dial in many of its variants to surprise and engage -- handset, mix of surface elements and finishes, depth of the dial and its changeability depending on the light, with elements like the waves and the dial text appearing and disappearing, as those raised indices seem to float and recede. I found the white dial comparatively dull and static when I tried it on -- it had something of the feel of dried oil point to me, and while that can be lovely in itself, didn't work me as well as other dials.

Horses for courses -- it's had some great reviews already, and for many no doubt it's the dial option they've been waiting for in this family.